Sep 25, 2018
Foreign Language Education, Chinese (with licensure), M.Ed.
Specialization leading to a Master of Education degree.
34 credit hours leading to a degree with an initial PreK-12 licensure in Chinese Language.
This program was designed to provide an opportunity for fluent speakers of Chinese to learn pedagogical skills appropriate for PreK-12 classroom instruction and earn Ohio state teaching licensure. The program is intended to make it possible for individuals to seek employment in PreK-12 settings teaching Chinese language and culture to U.S. students. Students who enroll in this program must be fluent in Chinese and may have prior teaching experience, often in settings outside the U.S. During their time in the program they will become familiar with school culture and practice in a contemporary American setting, teach in a real school setting under the supervision of experienced educators, and ultimately be qualified to serve as a bridge between the cultures of China and the U.S. The license must be earned with an associated M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction.
Applicants to the program must:
- Meet all College of Graduate Studies admission requirements noted in this catalog
- Demonstrate proficiency in English with a TOEFL test score with at least a 17 for reading, speaking, and listening, and a 14 for writing, or the equivalent on another recognized examination (IELTS, iTEP, or MELAB)
- Be fluent in Mandarin Chinese
- Have an interest in teaching Chinese language, culture and literature in an American PreK-12 school setting
- Participate in a live interview prior to program admission
Apply Now: http://www.csuohio.edu/gradcollege/admissions/apply.html
All teaching licensure students are expected to maintain a portfolio while completing their professional coursework and filed experienes. Students who begin a teaching licensure program in Fall 2012 or later are required to purchase a subscription to Taskstream, which they will use to submit all required portfolio components. At various checkpoints, students must meet specific criteria to be eligible to continue to the next phase of their program. For complete information on portfolios, students are advised to speak with an advisor and access the Student Portfolio Handbook available at the following: http://www.csuohio.edu/cehs/students/taskstream/taskstream.html.
(Depending on educational background, some students may also need to complete supplementary coursework in Chinese culture, Chinese literature, and/or linguistics.)
In order to finish the program, thereby receiving a Master’s degree and teaching license, the student will need to:
- Complete all required coursework, including student teaching & internship as well as EDB 595 (listed above)
- Pass three examinations:
- Praxis II Principles of Learning & Teaching
- ACTFL OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview) in Chinese at or above the Intermediate High level
- ACTFL WPT (Writing Proficiency Test) in Chinese at or above the Intermediate High level