Graduate Catalog 2016 - 2017 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Diversity Management, Graduate Certificate
Lisa P. Gaynier, Program Director
There is a growing workplace demand for culturally competent leaders who can lead and sustain change. The Graduate Certificate in Diversity Management provides the opportunity for current graduate students, particularly those in business, law, public administration and education, as well as people who already hold graduate degrees, to enhance their skills in managing and leading dynamic and diverse workplaces. Credits earned as part of the certificate program may apply toward a graduate degree, depending on the graduate degree program requirements.
Students who complete the certificate program will:
- Enhance their technical skills with proven strategies for managing themselves and others.
- Manage complex problems in increasingly diverse workplaces in global and domestic settings.
- Bring professional change management and change leadership skills to their respective workplace enterprises -corporate, public and non-profit.
- Be more culturally astute in both international and domestic contexts, bringing a capacity to flex to the myriad intellectual and social-emotional workplace challenges of today.
The Graduate Certificate in Diversity Management is designed to enhance professionals’ capacity to manage and conduct business in a complex and fast-changing global environment. This requires adults to learn new ways of doing their jobs and to be prepared for career change opportunities. The Certificate provides people the opportunity to earn formal credentials in the field of leadership and change management.
Our faculty are engaged in research on racism in the workplace, stereotype threat in social interactions, culturally competent leadership and workplace inclusion.
Degree-seeking graduate students who hold Regular admission status will be considered for admission to the certificate program with the submission of a current resume and personal statement which addresses their interest in diversity management and its relevance to their current program of study and/or work.
Applicants who are not enrolled in a graduate degree program at Cleveland State must apply for graduate certificate admission. An applicant must:
- Submit an application for the graduate certificate program, along with a $30 application fee,
- Submit an official transcript that shows evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of at least 2.75,
- Submit a resume indicating educational background, professional experience, and career goals,
- Submit a personal statement. See our website for instructions.
For further information, contact:
Diversity Management Program
Union Building, 251
1836 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland OH 44115
Phone: (216) 687-2587