Jessica E. Sowa, Certificate Program Coordinator
The certificate program is offered by the faculty of the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs. Its curriculum reflects the priorities of practicing local urban managers. The program draws upon the experience and knowledge of professionals associated with the public service centers of the Levin College of Urban Affairs and local government leaders affiliated with the Northeast Ohio City Management Association.
The certificate program helps practitioners address the challenges and opportunities facing cities, including budget cutbacks and equity planning. The program also assists experienced managers in business and nonprofit sectors to transition into local government positions.
Degree-seeking graduate students who hold Regular status will be considered for admission to the certificate program. Applicants must have a career commitment to local/urban management.
Students enrolled in a graduate degree program at Cleveland State University must file, prior to graduation, a letter indicating their intent to complete the requirements for the certificate program. The letter, addressed to the Graduate Program Advisor of the Levin College, must specify the anticipated date of completion for each course taken to fulfill certificate requirements.
Applicants who are not enrolled in a graduate degree program at Cleveland State must apply for graduate certificate admission. An applicant must:
- Submit an application for the graduate certificate program, along with a $30 application fee,
- Submit an official transcript that shows evidence of an earned bachelor’s degree from an accredited university with a cumulative undergraduate grade-point average of at least 2.75,
- Submit a resume indicating educational background, professional experience, and career goals, and
- Meet one of the following criteria:
- Obtain a score at the 50th percentile or higher on the general section of the GRE within the last six years.
- Complete twelve or more semester hours of Cleveland State University graduate work with a grade of B or better in each course.
- Hold a master’s or a JD degree from an accredited institution.
- Successfully complete the Local Officials Leadership Academy through the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs.
Upon admission, all students must meet with a Graduate Program Advisor to prepare a program of study.
Credits earned for the certificate may apply toward a graduate degree, if approved by the student’s graduate program director and in keeping with policies of the College of Graduate Studies.
Apply Now: http://www.csuohio.edu/gradcollege/admissions/apply.html
For further information, contact:
Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs
Office of Student Services
Urban Affairs Building 205
Phone: (216) 687-3884 Fax: (216) 687-5398