Oct 23, 2018  
Undergraduate Catalog 2013 - 2014 
Undergraduate Catalog 2013 - 2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

French Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences

A minor consists of 18 credit hours beyond the 100 level, of which 8 must be at the 300 level or above. Transfer students must complete 9 hours of the 18 required for the minor in residence at Cleveland State University. Students seeking a minor in French must have a departmental adviser to assist in the selection of courses. No grade below C in a minor course may count toward the minor.

Retroactive Credit

Students are eligible to earn up to 18 retroactive credits for previous knowledge of French. This policy is for students who have completed a foreign-language skills course and who earned a B- or better in that course. For example, if your first French skills course is FRN 102  and you receive an A or B, you can receive credit for FRN 101 . Consult the Department of Modern Languages 216-687-4645 for further information.

Credit by Examination

Students who successfully pass the College Level Placement Examination (CLEP test) in French may earn 14 credit hours for previous knowledge of French. For information about the examination, eligibility, and dates when it is given, contact the Cleveland State Testing Center 216-687-2277. Students who receive a score of 3, 4, or 5 on the Advanced Placement French language examination may earn up to 18 credit hours for FRN (FRN 101 , FRN 102 , FRN 201 , and FRN 202).

Note that only courses at the 200-level and above may count toward a French major or minor.

Transfer Students

Transfer students must complete at least 18 credit hours of the required 36 required for the major in residence at Cleveland State University in order to earn a degree.

Study Abroad

Majors and minors are encouraged to take advantage of Cleveland State University's exchange programs in Clermont Ferrand; and/or a summer study trip to France.  Normally up to 18 semester hours of study abroad may count toward the major requirements (additional credit may count toward the total hours needed for graduation).  Majors should seek departmental approval of foreign study plans before departure, and must complete at leat two 300- and/or 400-level courses in their major area after return from study abroad.

For further information regarding the possibility of foreign study and summer programs through the Modern Languages department, contact the department office at 216-687-4645, or Dr. Engelking, 216-523-7175.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences