Aug 17, 2018  
Undergraduate Catalog 2013 - 2014 
Undergraduate Catalog 2013 - 2014 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Spanish Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences

A minor in Spanish consists of 18 credit hours beyond the 100 level, of which 9 credit hours must be at the 300-level or above. Transfer students must complete 9 hours of the 18 required for the minor in residence at Cleveland State University. Students seeking a minor in Spanish must have an adviser in Spanish to assist in the selection of courses. No grade below C in a minor course may count toward the minor.

Retroactive Credit

Students are eligible to earn up to 18 retroactive credits for previous knowledge of Spanish. This policy is for students who have completed a foreign-language skills course and who earned a B- or better in that course. For example, if your first Spanish skills course is SPN 102  and you receive an A or B, you can receive credit for SPN 101  . Consult the Department of Modern Languages 216-687-4645 for further information.

Credit by Examination

Students who successfully pass the College Level Placement Examination (CLEP test) in Spanish may earn 14 credit hours for previous knowledge of Spanish. For information about the examination, eligibility, and dates when it is given, contact the Cleveland State Testing Center 216-687-2277. Students who receive a score of 3, 4, or 5 on the Advanced Placement Spanish language examination may earn up to 18 credit hours for SPN (SPN 101 , SPN 102 , SPN 201 , and


Note that only courses at the 200-level and above may count toward a Spanish major or minor.

Transfer Students

Transfer students must complete at least 18 credit hours of the required 36 required for the major in residence at Cleveland State University in order to earn a degree.

Study Abroad

Majors and minors are encouraged to arrange for a study in a Spanish-speaking country.  The department administers summer programs in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Spain.  Credit earned on these programs is considered part of the Cleveland State University Spanish sequence.

Students may also undertake independent study abroad at other institutions.  Normally up to 18 semester hours of study abroad may count toward the major requirements (additional credit may count toward the total hours needed for graduation).  Majors should seek departmental approval of foreign study plans before departure, and must complete at leat two 300- and/or 400-level courses in Spanish after return from independent study abroad.  (See also the Study Abroad section listed under "College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.")

For further information regarding the possibility of foreign study and summer programs available through the Department of Modern Languages, contact the department office, 216-687-4645.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences