May 19, 2022  
Graduate Catalog 2015 - 2016 
Graduate Catalog 2015 - 2016 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

International Student Admission

International Students

An international student is an individual who holds a visa while enrolled at Cleveland State University. These students must submit applications for graduate study to the Office of International Graduate Admissions, Main Classroom, Room 116.

A permanent resident is a person who has been granted permanent resident status in the U.S. or refugee status.

Permanent residents should apply through the Graduate Admissions Office, Main Classroom, Room 116.

Admission Requirements for International Students and Permanent Residents

Academic: Baccalaureate degrees earned outside the U.S. must be equivalent to baccalaureate degrees earned in the U.S.

Examinations: In general, a standardized admissions examination (e.g., GRE, GMAT, Miller Analogies Test) is required for any applicant who does not hold a bachelor’s degree (or higher) from a U.S. institution.

English Language Proficiency: The University requires all non-native English speakers to demonstrate proof of English-language proficiency. Any individual who has earned a bachelor’s (or higher) degree from a U.S. institution, in which the primary language of instruction is English, is not required to take an English language proficiency examination. The options and minimum score requirements are as follows:

  1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of at least 17 in Reading, Speaking, and Listening and a minimum score of 14 in writing on the internet-based TOEFL (iBT), or 197 for the computer-based TOEFL (525 on the paper-based test ). Please note that the Educational Testing Service (ETS) will not provide test takers or third parties (including Cleveland State University) with TOEFL reports for test scores that are over two years old. If required, the TOEFL must be taken again if the applicant’s most recent scores are over two years old, OR
  2. Pass the IELTS test (International English Language Testing System) with a minimum score of 6.0; OR
  3. Pass the MELAB (Michigan English Language Assessment Battery) with a minimum score of 77; OR
  4. Achieve a score of C (Pass) or better on the A and O levels of the General Certificate of Education (GCE or GCSE ) Test; OR
  5. Achieve a score of C (Pass) or better on the Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE); OR
  6. Complete English language studies (Level 112) from any of the ELS Language Centers; OR
  7. Complete course work at a C or better level for the equivalent of the CSU freshman English requirements at a U.S. regionally accredited college or university, OR
  8. Receive a Program Certificate of Completion from Cleveland State University’s Intensive English Language Program, indicating successful completion of the Advanced level with a grade of B or better and a COMPASS ESL score of 80 or higher.

Submit all documents to:

Office of International Graduate Admissions
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue, MC 116
Cleveland, Ohio 44115-2214 USA
Phone: (216) 687-3910
FAX: (216) 687-3965

The Center for International Services and Programs (CISP) assembles admission files for all international graduate degree applicants. Once an  admission file is complete and decision-ready, the file is reviewed by CISP staff to determine degree equivalency and a grade-point average conversion is calculated. The original file is sent to the Graduate Admissions Office, and a copy of the file is forwarded to the appropriate graduate program director. (CISP also keeps a copy of the file.) After review by the appropriate faculty body, the graduate program director submits an admission or denial  recommendation to the Graduate Admissions Office for consideration. The Director of Graduate Admissions reviews the request, and when there is agreement, the admission/ denial recommendation letter is sent to the CISP office, which communicates the admission action and supporting material to the applicant.

Application Deadlines for International Students

Fall Semester—May 15  
Spring Semester—November 1  
Summer Term—March 15  

Financial Requirements:

All international students must supply to the Center for International Services and Programs proof of adequate financial resources before I-20 (F-1) or IAP-66 (J-1) documents can be issued to obtain the appropriate visa to enter the United States to study. For further details, contact the Center for International Services and Programs at (216) 687-3910 or go to its website at

The only financial aid for which international students may qualify are graduate assistantships and graduate tuition grants. Students should contact their academic departments directly for details.

Health and Medical Requirements:

International students attending Cleveland State University are required to present results of a tuberculosis test before being permitted to register at the University. All international students on an F-1 or J-1 visa must show proof of adequate health insurance before they are allowed to register. For further details, please contact the Center for International Services and Programs at (216) 687-3910 or visit its website at