Jul 13, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2023 - 2024 
Undergraduate Catalog 2023 - 2024 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University Regulations


Enrollment dates and procedures can be found on the University Registrar’s website at www.csuohio.edu/registrar.

Enrollment Status

An undergraduate student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours (excluding courses taken on an audit basis) each semester shall be considered a full-time student. Enrollment of six credit hours shall be considered half-time and fewer than six credit hours shall be considered less than half-time.

Class Rank

Undergraduate class rank is determined by the number of cumulative hours completed.

Determination of Undergraduate Class Rank
Rank Hours
Freshman 0-29 hours
Sophomore 30-59 hours
Junior 60-89 hours
Senior 90+ hours


Each term it is necessary for a student to select courses and pay the appropriate fees to officially enroll for classes. Details regarding enrollment options are available on the University Registrar’s web-page at www.csuohio.edu/registrar.

Each term’s enrollment dates and procedures can be found on the university’s academic calendar. Add/drop/withdrawal deadlines may be reduced proportionately for any alternatively scheduled course that does not follow that term’s established begin and end dates.

Changes to Enrollment

A student may enroll for a course by the end of the first week of classes in fall and spring term or before the posted deadline for summer sessions and alternatively scheduled courses without permission. After the first week and up to the 15th day of the term for fall and spring or until the last day to register/add with permission for summer term and alternatively scheduled courses, enrollment may only occur with the permission of the instructor by way of the appropriate late enrollment form. All enrollment forms are available on the University Registrar’s website.

Official University Withdrawal Regulations

A student may withdraw from a course without permission through the 10th week of fall and spring or before the published deadline for summer sessions and alternatively scheduled courses.

A withdrawal prior to the 15th day of fall and spring or before the published summer session deadline will not result in a grade on the student transcript. A withdrawal after the 15th day up through the withdrawal deadline will be indicated on the university official academic record by a “W.”

Non-attendance does not constitute an official drop or withdrawal from the course. A grade of “F” may be assigned when a student fails to complete a course, drop or withdraw.

Dropping/withdrawing from courses may affect student financial aid. Students are strongly encouraged to consult their college advising office or Campus411 All-in-1 prior to withdrawing from classes in the current term or retroactively.

Administrative Withdrawal

The university has the authority to withdraw students from classes. Such withdrawals can be enforced upon the request of instructors or academic departments for a variety of reasons including lack of prerequisite course work, inadequate placement results or non-attendance. Additionally, the University may cancel a student’s enrollment for lack of payment or payment arrangements.

Attendance Requirements

Students are expected to attend class. If a student expects to be absent for an extended period of time, notification should be given to the course instructor or college dean. Non-attendance does not constitute a drop or withdrawal.

Limits on Enrollment for Developmental Students

1. Students who place into both developmental Math and English (including ENG 100 ) must enroll in a designated Freshmen Foundations course cluster in consultation with their Advisor/Success Specialist.

2. Students who place into developmental English must enroll in that course during their first semester at CSU.

3. Students who place into developmental Math must enroll in that class in their first four semesters at CSU.

4. Any new freshman student who places into a developmental course may not enroll in the summer semester prior to their entering CSU. Summer bridge programs such as Academic Boot Camp are accepted.

Limits on Enrollment for New Freshmen

Entering freshman in the first two semesters at CSU (not including PSEO/CCP semesters) may not enroll for more than 17 credit hours per semester

Exceptions can be made by the primary advisor who must report the exception and rationale to the Director of University Advising or his or her designee. An analysis of students’ academic records can be conducted on a yearly basis.

Academic Course Load

The maximum number of credit hours a student may enroll in for the term is determined by each college. A student wishing to enroll in more credits than the college permits must do so only with the consent of the student’s academic dean or academic advising unit. This consent must be submitted by the advisor prior to enrollment.

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Courses

An undergraduate student who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Cleveland State University may be granted permission to take one or more (maximum of nine credit-hours) graduate courses at the 500 level if the student meets all the following conditions:

  1. The student must be within 30 hours of graduation.
  2. The student must have an overall grade point of 2.75 or better through the preceding semester.
  3. The student must have a 3.00 or better grade point average in the major field.
  4. The student must obtain permission from his or her adviser, the instructor of the course, and the department chair, via signature on the Undergraduate Student Permission to Take Graduate Courses form.

An undergraduate student who is deficient in any of the above respects may not take a graduate course without the approval of the academic dean of the college where the course is offered and the graduate dean. Undergraduate students may not register for 600- to 800-level graduate courses.

Credit for these courses, up to a maximum of nine credits for courses where the grade received is B or above, may be applied at a later point to a graduate degree program provided that the credit was not used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements. Internal transfer of credit is subject to Graduate College transfer credit regulations.

Post-baccalaureate and non-degree students enrolled at the undergraduate level may not register for graduate-level classes. Post-baccalaureate students meeting criteria specified in the Graduate Catalog must seek permission from the College of Graduate Studies before enrolling in a 500-level course.  Course registration will be canceled for students who do not meet these requirements.

College-to-College Transfer

A student wishing to transfer from one college of the university to another may do so with the consent of the entering college dean. The transfer request is initiated with the Advising Office of the college in which the student is currently enrolled.

Declaration of Major

Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to identify major areas of study in conjunction with their academic advisers early in their academic career. It is relatively common for students to explore several areas of study. However, in order to provide students with the best possible opportunity to graduate in a timely manner, all undergraduate students are required to formally declare a major before completing 60 credits. Transfer students who are admitted to the university with more than 60 credits are allowed one semester of study before enrolling in the subsequent semester. This requirement applies to degree-seeking students. Certain colleges and/or programs of study may have specific declaration of major requirements. In those cases, the college/program requirements supersede this university requirement. Contact the University Advising Center and College Advising Offices to facilitate any changes to your major.

Transient Status for Current Cleveland State Students at Other Schools

Transient status is approved for eligible students who are currently in good academic standing, up to the limit of eight semester hours over the course of their career at Cleveland State University. Students will not be approved for transient status beyond this limit except when the course(s) to be taken are not offered at Cleveland State and can be justified in terms of their academic program. All work to be completed on a transient basis must be approved in advance through submission of the Transient Permission Form, which is available through the University Registrar’s website at: http://www.csuohio.edu/registrar/university-registrar-forms as well as the various collegiate academic advising offices.

Prior approval must be obtained by students to ensure acceptance and applicability of transient work, according to the following guidelines:

  1. All students must obtain approval from the dean’s office of the academic college in which they are enrolled.
  2. Declared majors must also obtain approval of a faculty adviser within their department in cases where the course is to be applied toward a major-field requirement.

Students who are in their last 30 credits of work at Cleveland State University, and those with junior standing wishing to attend a two-year institution, must seek approval of transient status by petitioning the University Petitions Committee prior to taking the course. Students with junior standing (but not in their last 30 hours) may take a course at a four-year institution with transient permission.

Cross Registration

Full-time Cleveland State students, in good academic standing, can cross-register for a course each semester on a no-fee basis at 14 local colleges and universities. This status is designed to enhance the educational programs of students by allowing them to register for courses not offered at their home school. Cross registration forms can be obtained from Campus411 All-in-1 or by visiting the University Registrar’s web-page. Students should be aware of the scheduling differences at each institution.

Credit for Study Abroad

A student who seeks credit for study abroad should consult in advance with the study-abroad coordinator, who will assist the student in obtaining approval for plans.

To be eligible for study abroad, a student must have a university GPA of at least 2.00 and must be enrolled as a degree or non-degree seeking student. Graded credit is awarded only for academic work completed in faculty-led Cleveland State University study abroad programs and programs led by faculty from the Northeast Ohio Universities Modern and Classical Languages Consortium (CSU, Kent State University, University of Akron and Youngstown State University). Final authorization of transfer credit is given after the student presents to the Study-Abroad Manager documentation showing fulfillment of approved written plans for credit and after review by appropriate academic departments.

Cleveland State University Appeals Process for Transfer Students

Cleveland State University observes all of the rules and procedures stipulated by the Ohio Articulation and Transfer Policy. In particular, we grant transfer credit for all college-level courses taken through institutions of higher education holding accreditation by a regional accrediting body accepted by Cleveland State University, in which a sufficient grade was achieved.

Cleveland State University offers the following appeal process that you may pursue if you are not satisfied with initial university decisions regarding applicability of your transfer credit:

1. Contact the Office of the University Registrar to request a review of one or more courses on your Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE). Requests may be submitted by email to tce@csuohio.edu or in writing, together with supporting material that you consider relevant. Military veterans should first contact the Coordinator of the Veteran Student Success Program to conduct the initial review of the proposed appeal to ensure that changes are applicable to the program of study.

2. If you are not satisfied with the decision of the Office of the University Registrar, you may file an appeal. Complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Appeal form at http://www.csuohio.edu/sites/default/files/media/registrar/documents/TCEAppeal.pdf in consultation with your academic advisor and submit it to your college advising office. The university will respond to your appeal in writing within 30 days.

3. If you are not satisfied with the decision, meet with your academic advisor to discuss if an appeal to the University Petitions Committee is appropriate. The University Petitions Committee will usually only consider a TCE appeal if the student can provide new evidence supporting the appeal.

Alternative Credit


The following programs/services allow students to begin college work at levels consistent with their academic background, thereby avoiding the repetition of material already mastered. These options also permit students to pursue more flexible schedules and reduce the time required for completion of graduation requirements. Students may be granted credit through these programs at the time of initial enrollment at Cleveland State University or subsequent to their matriculation. Credit granted through the following programs is not, however, applicable in the calculation of enrollment status (full-time, half-time, etc.) for the term in which it is completed or posted to the academic record.

Credit by Examination

The three types of examination credit recognized by Cleveland State University are those earned through the Advanced Placement Program (AP), for which there is no limit on the number of credits that can be granted; the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) general exams, for which a maximum of 60 credit hours can be granted; and departmental examinations, for which a 30-credit limit exists.

The following regulations apply to the pursuit of credit by examination:

  1. Credit is granted only to matriculated, degree-seeking students.
  2. Credit granted for successful completion of an examination will be entered on the student’s permanent record as hours earned. A grade is not assigned for such work.
  3. If a student does not receive a score high enough to grant credit, no entry is made on his or her permanent record.
  4. Credit will not be granted for areas of study or for particular courses in which the student has already earned or been granted equivalent Cleveland State credit.
  5. Generally, Cleveland State does not approve for credit the score made when an examination has been repeated.
  6. Credit earned through CLEP or Advanced Placement may not be applied toward the student’s residence requirement. However, credit earned for departmental examinations may be utilized toward this requirement.

All students interested in pursuing credit by examination are urged to discuss their plans with an academic adviser prior to registering for the examination(s).

Advanced Placement

Advanced Placement (AP) Program credit is offered under the auspices of the College Board to high-school students who have completed an official advanced-placement course. Arrangements for testing are made through the high school in which the student is enrolled.

Students, including transfer students, interested in receiving Advanced Placement credit from Cleveland State should have their official score report sent directly from the College Board to the Office of the University Registrar.

Cleveland State requires a minimum score of 3 in order to grant credit for AP examinations. Check the External Test Credit section of the University Registrar’s website for information on credit equivalencies.

College Level Examination Program

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is offered under the auspices of the College Board. CLEP examinations are administered through Cleveland State’s Testing Center, as well as at other testing centers across the country.

Students seeking credit through CLEP after completing Cleveland State or other college-level work are cautioned to determine in advance with an academic adviser whether such credit will duplicate that already earned. Transfer students who have received credit through CLEP at another institution should have the official score report sent to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation.

Cleveland State requires a minimum score of 50 in order to grant credit for CLEP examinations, although many exams require higher minimum scores. For certain examinations the student is required to complete an essay in addition to the objective section. Check the External Test Credit section of the University Registrar’s website for information on credit equivalencies.

Departmental Examinations

End-of-course examinations are administered by various university departments. Each participating department’s chairperson shall decide the grading and level of achievement required for credit from these exams. The Department of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures also provides examination opportunities in foreign languages not typically offered by the department, contingent upon the availability of a qualified examiner. Questions about this and other departmental exams for credit should be directed to the appropriate office. A fee is charged for each departmental exam attempted.

Military Training and Experience

As a Service-members Opportunity College (SOC), Cleveland State University observes all SOC criteria concerning the acceptance of military training for college credit as provided by the recommendations by the American Council on Education (ACE) Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services. In particular, we grant transfer credit per ACE recommendations upon submission of the Joint Service Transcript or a transcript from the Community College of the Air Force. Military veterans may also appeal transfer credit decisions using the University’s Appeals Process for Transfer Students.

International Baccalaureate

Cleveland State University recognizes the International Baccalaureate examinations and will consider Higher Level examinations with a score of 4 or higher for transfer credit in various fields.  Applicability to degree requirements will be determined by the student’s degree granting college. No credit will be awarded for International Baccalaureate Standard Level examinations. Students must submit official examination results to the Office of the University Registrar for credit evaluation. Check the External Test Credit section of the University Registrar’s website for information on credit equivalencies.

Assessment and Accreditation of Prior Learning Experience (AAPLE)

The Assessment and Accreditation of Prior Learning Experience (AAPLE) is a credit for life experience program offered by the School of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University. The program is designed to award undergraduate academic credit to majors in urban studies for previous substantial learning experience in settings other than the classroom. Students may earn up to 24 credits through this program; fees are assessed at approximately one-half of the current tuition (per credit hour) rate.

Veterans Educational Benefits

The School Certifying Official certifies the enrollment of veterans to the Veterans Administration (VA), and those students who have completed an application for VA Educational Benefits should call 216-687-2053 and talk to a certifier in the VA Certifying Office. Additional help with other related veteran issues can be directed to the CSU Veteran & Military Resource Center located at 2254 Euclid Ave, Trinity Commons. Once the Letter of Eligibility (LOE) and change of program (VA form 22-1995) is on file, certification of enrollment will be automatic each semester unless specifically requested otherwise. Veterans that are using chapters 1606, 1607, or 30 will still have to verify enrollment by calling 1-888-GIBILL1 at the end of each month. Students with questions about their benefits or certification should speak with a Certifying Representative by calling 216-687-2053 or visiting the CSU Veteran & Military Resource Center. All enrollments are subject to audit by the Veterans Administration (VA). Any overpayment in veterans benefits discovered through a VA audit will result in the veteran assuming liability for repayment. All veterans are required to sign up for the Budget Payment Plan each semester to avoid late fees; this is a free service to our veteran students.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018

For Veterans using Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 VA benefits, Cleveland State University adheres to S2248 PL 115-407 Section 103. For Chapter 33 to be considered a “covered individual” under the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act 2018, the veteran, or other eligible beneficiary, must provide a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) or statement of benefit from the Department of Veterans Affairs prior to the first day of classes. The veteran, or other eligible beneficiary, must complete a Cleveland State University Veteran In-House Form to have their VA educational benefits certified for the semester. The veteran, or other eligible beneficiary, may be required to provide additional information necessary to properly certify their enrollment by the educational institution. For Chapter 31, the School Certifying Official must receive an authorization from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Cleveland State University will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 except for the amounts not covered by the COE, statement of benefit, or the authorization, refer to the Cleveland State University payment policy.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords eligible students certain rights with respect to their education records. (An “eligible student” under FERPA is a student who is 18 years of age or older or who attends a postsecondary institution at any age.) These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student’s education records within 45 days after the day Cleveland State University (“CSU”) receives a request for access. A student should submit a written request that identifies the record(s) the student wishes to inspect to the University Registrar. The Registrar will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes is inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA.

A student who wishes to ask CSU to amend a record should submit a written request to the University Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record the student wants changed, and specify why it should be changed. 

If CSU decides not to amend the record as requested, CSU will notify the student in writing of the decision and the student’s right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

  1. The right to provide written consent before CSU discloses personally identifiable information (PII) from the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. 

CSU discloses education records without a student’s prior written consent under the FERPA exception for disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official typically includes a person employed by CSU in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person serving on the board of trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary, grievance committee, or in student government positions. A school official also may include a volunteer or contractor outside of CSU who performs an institutional service of function for which CSU would otherwise use its own employees and who is under the direct control of the University with respect to the use and maintenance of PII from education records, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent or a student volunteering to assist another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official typically has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibilities for the University. 

Upon request, CSU also discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll. 

See below for information regarding the disclosure of student information classified as directory information.

  1. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the CSU to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is: 

Family Policy Compliance Office
U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202

Directory Information

In accordance with federal law, the University classifies the following information on students as directory information and may make it available to other students and to the public:

  1. Student Name
  2. Home city and state
  3. Home Address*
  4. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  5. Dates of attendance
  6. Degrees and awards (honors) earned
  7. University email address**

* Disclosure of the home address is restricted to state, local or national elected officials for the purpose of sending congratulatory letters, or to potential scholarship sponsors for the purpose of marketing scholarship opportunities. Requestors must complete and submit the Directory Information Request - Student Address Information form.

** Disclosure of the university email address is limited to users of the university email system only, and only for purposes of locating email addresses in the email directory.

Students who wish to restrict the release of the foregoing information can do so through CampusNet (Student tab, Directory Information) or by submitting the Directory Information Restriction Request form at All-in-1, BH 116. This restriction will remain in effect until you request it be removed. However, even if you file such a request, the University will release information as necessary if it is determined that disclosure is permitted by FERPA without prior consent (e.g., response to a subpoena, health or safety emergency, etc.). Please be aware that if a student requests that the forgoing information be withheld, it will be withheld from a variety of sources, including friends, relatives, prospective employers, insurance agencies, honor societies, and the news media. Students should carefully consider the consequences of withholding such information before doing so.

Since the University intends to make the above information public, it has the obligation to publish this annual notification of that intent and to provide a reasonable period of time in which students can designate such information that is not to be released.

The University reserves the right to publish a student directory listing names and addresses of students.


Credit Hour

The university is conducted on the semester plan, the school year being divided into three semesters with Fall and Spring lasting 16 weeks and Summer lasting 12 weeks. Each semester credit represents approximately 15 hours of classroom instruction or the equivalent.

Grades with Quality Point Value

The following grades for undergraduate courses have quality-point value and figure in the computation of the grade-point average.



















4.0 quality points

3.7 quality points

3.3 quality points

3.0 quality points

2.7 quality points

2.3 quality points

2.0 quality points

1.0 quality points

0.0 quality points

Grades Without Quality Point Value

The following grades for undergraduate courses do not figure in the computation of the grade-point average:

# - This notation is used to signify a course that has been repeated and for which a higher grade has replaced this grade (used prior to Spring 2007 term).

I - Incomplete Grade. An “I” grade can be assigned by the instructor when all three of the following conditions are met:

  1. Student has the potential to pass the course,
  2. Student has not completed all assignments for reasons deemed justified by the instructor, and
  3. The student has notified the instructor prior to the end of the grading period.

Please note that an “I” automatically becomes an “F” if not resolved by the last day of instruction of the following semester.

The grade of Incomplete (I) is given when the work in a course has been generally passing, but when some specifically required task has not been completed through no fault of the student.

The date assigned by the faculty member for completion of the work for undergraduate courses cannot be later than the last day of classes of the next term following the term in which the Incomplete grade was received. (The time limit may extend up to four weeks into the fall semester for Incomplete grades received during the spring semester.) For all cases, the time limit applies whether the student is enrolled or not. If a grade change is not submitted by the end of the time limit, the Incomplete becomes an F.

NC - No Credit. (Audit. See explanation below.)

S - Satisfactory includes SA, SB, SC grades. Equivalent to a C or better.

T - Temporary. A designation given at the end of the term when a course is scheduled to be continued beyond one term.

U - Unsatisfactory includes UD, UF grades. Equivalent to a D or F.

W - Authorized Withdrawal.

X - For undergraduate courses the grade of “X” can only be administratively assigned by the Office of the University Registrar to indicate a grade has not been assigned by an instructor. For undergraduate students who have stopped attending/participating without notification and have not completed all assignments for reasons that cannot be determined, instructors should assign the earned grade. Any grade of “X” will become a grade of “F” at 11:59 PM the day following the grading deadline.

Transfer of C- Grades

Undergraduate students who transfer in grades of C- in undergraduate courses are considered to have earned a C in those courses and are not required to retake courses for which a grade of C is a requirement.

Audit of Courses (NC)

The grade of “No Credit” is given when a student enrolls in a course on the Audit grading basis. Before registering for a course on this basis, a student must obtain authorization from the dean’s office. Students who audit a course pay full tuition but do not earn credit for the course. A course taken on an audit basis cannot be included in the calculation of enrollment status.

Only students who have been admitted to the university may audit a course. Students may not change the grading basis of a course after the last day to register without permission.

Grade Dispute/Grade Changes

Definition: A change of grade is a request by an instructor to alter a grade that has already been submitted.

A faculty member may change a grade (1) because of an error in computation or (2) because of circumstances he or she deems extraordinary which bear on the appropriateness of the grade awarded. A student wishing a change of grade must contact the course instructor. If the instructor cannot be contacted, the student must contact the Chair/Director of the Department/School in which the course was offered. If the instructor (or, in the absence of the instructor the Chair/Director) agrees that the course grade should be changed, the following procedure must be followed.

Grade change requests are initiated from the grade roster in CampusNet and should be used to request that posted grades be changed. The instructor of record in the course in which the grade was awarded MUST initiate the grade change request. In the event that the instructor of record cannot initiate the request online (e.g., because they have left the university or cannot be contacted), the request may be initiated through CampusNet by the Chair/Director of the Department/School in which the course was offered. In all cases, the Dean of the College in which the course was offered must also approve the grade change request. The request to change a grade must be submitted in CampusNet no later than the last day of class (not including exam week) of the second semester following the semester in which the course was offered.

If the instructor does NOT agree that the grade should be changed, the student may initiate a grade dispute, using the following procedure:

Grade Dispute:

Definition: A grade dispute is a situation in which a student requests that an instructor change a grade that has already been posted but the instructor disagrees that the change should be made.

After determining that the instructor is unwilling to change the grade, the student should contact the Chair or Director of the program in which the course was offered and indicate in writing the reasons why the student believes the grade should be changed. The burden is on the student to prove that a computational error has been made or that non-uniform standards have been applied in assigning the grade. The student must submit their written explanation to the department chair no later than the last day of class of the semester following the semester in which the course was offered.

The department chair, upon receipt of the student’s written explanation, shall share it with the instructor of record in the course in question and request a written response. This response shall then be shared with the student. The chair will then arrange a meeting, at which s/he will serve as mediator, between the student and faculty member and attempt to resolve the dispute. If the instructor refuses to submit a written response and/or to participate in a meeting with the student, the chair is empowered to render a decision on the student’s request. Otherwise, the chair may serve only as a mediator. If both the student and the faculty member agree to the solution proposed by the chair, the outcome of whatever process is adopted by the parties will be binding and the matter cannot be appealed further.

If the faculty member and student cannot agree to a solution, the chair may, at either party’s request, forward the dispute to the undergraduate college grade-dispute committee in the college in which the course was offered (if no formal committee exists, the dispute shall be referred to a committee designated by the College Dean). The written documents produced by the student and the faculty member shall be forwarded to the committee, along with a statement by the chair describing his or her attempted mediation and its outcome. The College committee will consider the documents submitted and the testimony of both the student and the instructor. That committee has final authority in deciding if there is substantial justification for the claim and assigning the final grade.

The decision and rationale of the undergraduate college grade-dispute committee must be forwarded to the University Admissions and Standards Committee which determines whether appropriate procedures have been followed. If the University Admissions and Standards Committee determines due process has been afforded, the decision of the college grade-dispute committee stands and there are no further appeals within the University. If the determination is that due process has NOT been afforded, the matter shall be returned to the Dean of the college in which the dispute originated with a written statement of the reasons for the Committee’s determination and a recommendation that the grade dispute process be restarted at the step at which the violation of due process occurred.

Approved by Faculty Senate May 6, 2009

Grade-Point Average

A student’s academic standing at Cleveland State University is expressed in terms of the grade-point average (GPA). This is determined by dividing the total quality points earned by the total credit hours attempted. All grade-point averages are carried to two decimal places unrounded.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grading Basis

A student who has earned at least 30 credits may take one course each term on the S/U basis, up to the limit of four courses. A student on probation is not eligible to take courses on this basis.

Students may elect to enroll in any course on this grading basis except those in their major field and those which are specified in their curriculum by course number and/or course title. No more than one course completed on this basis may be used to satisfy an elective requirement in a minor field. Students may not change the grading basis of a course after the last day to register without permission.

The S grade is defined as C or better, and neither the S nor the U will have any bearing on the student’s grade-point average.

Courses designated as S/U only cannot be taken for graded credit and are exempt from the four course limit.

Course Repeat Policy

The Course Repeat Policy provides students who have done poorly the opportunity to repeat courses, up to two times. Students may use the D or F Option to attempt to increase their grade-point average (excluding pass/fail courses) using their new grade to replace their previous grade. The previous course(s) and grade(s) will remain on the official transcript for historical purposes only. Students may use the C or Higher Option for completion of program requirements that may require a higher grade than was initially received by the student.

Repeating “D” or “F” graded courses
  1. Courses may be repeated when any grade equivalent to a D or below which affects the grade-point average has been earned. For the purpose of grade-point average (GPA) calculation, transfer and/or test credit may not be used to supersede an earned grade at CSU.
  2. Course Repeat Policy may NOT be applied more than two (2) times to the same course.
  3. The letter grade earned in the most recent attempt will be included in cumulative credit totals and grade-point average, even if that grade is lower than the previous grade. This does not include coursework that is transferred in, or test credit. The credits will count in the transferred attempt or the test credit, but the grade earned at CSU will still be counted in the GPA.
  4. Prior to Spring 2007, repeated courses and grades were recorded on the transcript and noted with a “#” indicating that the course has been repeated. Effective Spring 2007, repeated courses are designated with the comment “Course Repeated, Attempt Forgiven.”
  5. All courses designated with a “#” or the “Course Repeated, Attempt Forgiven” comment will not be included in cumulative credit totals and grade-point averages and are not applicable toward graduation requirements.
  6. Course Repeat Policy does not apply to courses which have an alternative repeat policy stated in their course descriptions. Academic programs may also restrict the use of Course Repeat Policy.
  7. Course Repeat Policy does not apply to courses graded S/U. Only courses for which a letter grade can be earned are covered by Course Repeat Policy.
  8. Course Repeat Policy does not apply to graduate level courses (500- and above).
Repeating Courses graded “C” or Higher

Students may choose to repeat courses in which a grade of C or higher is earned a maximum of two (2) times (depending on whether there are any restrictions specific to that course, see course descriptions in the Undergraduate Catalog to determine if restrictions apply). However, courses repeated under these circumstances will have all earned grades calculated into the cumulative GPA and attempted hours and Course Repeat Policy will not apply. Students will not receive test credit or transfer credit for any transferred courses in which a grade of C or higher has been earned at CSU.

Academic Standing / Honors

No changes to Academic Standing, Dean’s List or President’s List from a prior semester will occur as a result of repeating a course.

Non-Academic Impact

Students should be aware that repeating a course may have an impact on financial aid, insurance, athletic participation, immigration status and other matters. In addition, when a course is repeated, all applicable tuition and required fees apply.

Note: Effective Summer 2005, this new comprehensive Course Repeat Policy replaced the existing Course Repeat and Freshman Forgiveness policy. The Course Repeat Policy is not retroactive to courses already repeated under prior policies. Students repeating courses originally taken on quarters or that do not have the same title, course abbreviation, or catalog number as the original course must submit a Course Repeat Form to Campus411 All-in-1 in BH 116.

Academic Misconduct

The University Policy on Academic Misconduct exists to address problems such as cheating on an assignment or assessment; plagiarism; inappropriate collaboration (including contract cheating); aiding the academic dishonesty of peers; falsifying data, information or sources; falsifying academic records, etc. Refer to Academic Integrity for the Policy and related procedures for resolution of matters of conflict, channels of appeal, and penalties imposed.

Official Academic Transcripts

Students may request an official academic transcript online through CampusNet or through the Office of the University Registrar webpage (at https://www.csuohio.edu/registrar/order-transcripts-online).

Transcripts will not be released for students who have an outstanding financial obligation to the university.

Additional information regarding transcript policies and procedures are available at www.csuohio.edu/registrar.

Academic Standing Rules for Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 and successfully complete 67% of the credits attempted at the end of the semester in order to remain in good standing. Successful completion is defined as earning a passing grade. Grades of F, U, X, W and I (Incomplete) will be calculated as non-completions.

Academic Standing Status Descriptions

Academic Warning

An undergraduate student is placed on Academic Warning under either of the following conditions: 

  1. The student earns a GPA less than 2.00 during his or her first semester at Cleveland State University and/or does not complete 67% of his or her credits at the end of the semester. Students are strongly encouraged to meet one-to one with an advisor in the appropriate Advising Office. 
  2. The first semester in which the student withdraws from more than 33% of his or her credits and earns a minimum GPA of 2.00 for any remaining courses. 

If student has a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or more the subsequent semester and successfully completes 67% of credits attempted at the end of a semester, the student returns to good standing.

Academic Probation

An undergraduate student is placed on academic probation under one of these conditions:

  1. The student was on academic warning the previous semester and has a cumulative GPA below 2.00 at the end of the semester.
  2. The student does not successfully complete 67% of the credits attempted in any semester and has previously been placed on academic warning for lack of course completion because of withdrawals.
  3. The student earns a cumulative grade point average of less than 2.00 any semester after their first semester 

Academic probation may be continued if the student earns a term grade-point average of 3.00 but the cumulative grade point average remains below 2.00. The student must meet percentage requirements.

The student will return to good standing in their next semester if they earn a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 and successfully completes 67% of the credits attempted.

Academic Suspension

A student is suspended if they were on academic probation the previous semester and failed to earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.00, or a semester grade point average of 3.0, or does not successfully complete 67% of the credits attempted, at the end of the probationary semester.

A student can petition for readmission after two semesters under exceptional circumstances. Petitions must be supported by at least one advisor or faculty member and are submitted to the appropriate Committee. For students who have earned more than 60 hours this petition is submitted to the College of their academic major. For students with less than 60 hours, readmission may be to the Academic College of their major or Exploratory Advising. The deadline for petition submission is one month prior to the beginning of the semester.

Under exceptional circumstances, students may petition for early readmission (prior to a 2 semester absence). Early readmission requires approval by the University Petitions Committee.

Academic Separation

A student is permanently separated from the university if they meet the criteria for suspension at the end of a semester and have previously been suspended.

On rare occasions, students may be reinstated after a separation of at least two years. Reinstatement requires approval of a petition by the University Petitions Committee. This petition must be submitted in the semester prior to intended enrollment with justification and supporting documentation. 

Review of/Changes to Academic Standing

Academic Suspension and Separation

Students who meet the criteria for Academic Suspension or Separation, and fall into one of 2 categories (listed below), will be reviewed by a centralized committee comprised of the Registrar and Associate Deans (or designees), to determine if continued probation is appropriate for the student, instead of being suspended/separated.

  1. Students who are candidates for suspension and separation for only completion violations (their cumulative grade-point average is still above a 2.00).
  2. Students with 90+ earned hours with grade-point averages of 1.8-1.99.

The Center for International Services and Programs, the Office of Disability Services, the Office of Veterans Affairs, the Office of Institutional Equity and Advising Offices are also consulted. The review of these students will be conducted on the Thursday of the week of academic standing processing, prior to the final Friday run of academic standing. Students in the above categories may also be reviewed outside of this timeline 

Administrative Error

If a grade (or grades) has been changed due to administrative or faculty error, an academic standing status may be reconsidered. There is no deadline for a request to reconsider standing due to such an error but clear evidence must be presented in support of the request. The Registrar’s Office will, upon request, review students in this category to determine if a change in academic standing status is appropriate.  

Change of an Incomplete grade

If a student has completed the coursework for a course in which they received an Incomplete grade (I) and they have adhered to the criteria established in an Incomplete Grade Agreement (must be on file), an academic standing status may be reconsidered. There is no deadline for a request to reconsider standing due to the changing of an Incomplete grade but the coursework must have been completed within 1 month of the end of the semester in which the Incomplete grade was originally received. The Registrar’s Office will, upon request, review students in this category to determine if a change in academic standing status is appropriate. Reviews from Suspension/Separation that are conducted after the start of the following term will be reviewed but the student will not be permitted to register for that semester and must wait until the following semester, unless support from all Advisers and Instructors is obtained.


If a student is completing their degree the same semester that a Warning, Probation, Suspension or Separation status is assigned, the academic standing status for the graduating semester may be reconsidered. There is no deadline for a request to reconsider standing due to graduation but students are strongly encouraged to raise the issue before their degree is posted to their record. The Registrar’s Office will, upon request, review students in this category to determine if a change in academic standing status is appropriate.

Late withdrawal approved by petition

If a grade (or grades) has been changed to W (Withdrawal) as a result of an approved college or university petition, an academic standing status that was assigned for violation of the GPA requirement may be subject to reconsideration. The Registrar’s Office will, upon request, review students in this category to determine if a change in academic standing status is appropriate.

Previous Academic Dismissal

A student who was previously Academically Dismissed from the University and wishes to return should follow the same procedures as a student who was Academically Suspended and is requesting readmission.

Academic Reassessment

The Academic Reassessment Policy is designed to facilitate the return to good academic standing of students who have accumulated poor grades in the early stages of their education at Cleveland State University. Effective May 2015, the academic reassessment policy has been revised. Reassessments processed prior to this remain under the former reassessment policy.

Eligibility and Process

A student is eligible for academic reassessment, after an absence of at least 24 months, if the student:

  • Had a cumulative grade-point average of less than 2.00 during the previous enrollment period at CSU
  • Has not used academic reassessment before at CSU
  • Re-enrolls at CSU and successfully completes least 15 semester credit hours with a grade-point average of no less than 2.00 (of letter-graded (A through F) courses)
  • Is active in an undergraduate degree-seeking program (reassessment is not available for non-degree or post-baccalaureate students)

An absence is defined as a period of time in which no enrollment activity, i.e., attempted or earned academic credit, is posted to a student’s record.

If a currently enrolled, undergraduate degree-seeking student determines that academic reassessment is a viable option, the student must complete a Request for Academic Reassessment (http://www.csuohio.edu/sites/default/files/media/registrar/documents/reassessment.pdf), obtain the written approval of an academic advisor, and submit the form to Campus411 All-in-1 prior to the end of the fifth week of the semester or summer immediately following the successful completion of at least 15 credits with a CSU grade-point average of no less than 2.0. A Request for Academic Reassessment will not be considered if it is received after the stated submission deadline.

If, upon return to Cleveland State University, a student fails to complete 15 semester credits with a CSU grade-point average of at least 2.0 and is ineligible for academic reassessment, the student will be subject to the university’s academic standing policy.


Once a Request for Academic Reassessment is submitted and approved:

  • A maximum of 30 credit hours may be reassessed.  If more than 30 credit hours are eligible for reassessment, the student and advisor must consult to identify the courses to be reassessed
  • Only grades below a C may be reassessed
  • Reassessed grades must be from the time period prior to the student’s re-enrollment following the minimum 24-month absence
  • Grades earned for the courses that are reassessed at CSU are excluded from the calculation of the cumulative GPA, but will remain on the student’s official transcript
  • Reassessment means the Office of the University Registrar will insert a notation on the official academic transcript to indicate that the course has been reassessed and is not included in the cumulative credit totals or grade-point average
  • Reassessed courses are not applicable toward graduation requirements 
  • Academic Reassessment will only be granted once

Academic Honors

President’s List

An undergraduate student taking 15 credits or more during a semester who has earned a grade-point average of 3.9 or above during that semester is placed on the President’s List for outstanding academic achievement. The President’s List is calculated on credits earned in course work for which grades of A through F are given. Credit earned in a course for which the grade of Satisfactory is achieved will not be counted as part of the 15 semester-credit minimum.

Dean’s List

A full-time student (12 credits or more per semester) or a part-time student completing a 12-hour step, who has earned a grade-point average of 3.25 or better, is placed on the Dean’s List for excellent academic performance. The Dean’s List is calculated on credits earned in course work for which grades of A through F are given. Credit earned in a course for which the grade of Satisfactory is achieved will not be counted as part of the 12 semester-credit minimum for full-time status.

University Valedictorian

For each commencement, a Valedictorian will be selected from the graduating class by a committee comprised of representatives from each college. The Valedictorian will be a student demonstrating outstanding academic qualifications and achievements in or contributions to the university or wider community. The successful candidate will deliver the valedictory speech at the commencement ceremony.

Candidates must have completed a minimum of 60 credits in-residence at Cleveland State University and attained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.8 to be considered for Valedictorian selection.

Candidates seeking Valedictorian candidacy may petition their major department, presenting a summary of their qualifications and achievements. All nominations must be finalized by the middle of the spring (for spring graduates) and fall (for summer and fall graduates) semesters.

Graduation Honors

Students who have earned cumulative grade-point averages, calculated to two decimal places unrounded, between 3.30 and 4.00, graduate with the following honors:

3.30-3.59 Cum Laude
3.60-3.79 Magna Cum Laude
3.80-4.00 Summa Cum Laude

Graduation Honors for Transfer Students

If a student has transferred to Cleveland State University, graduation honors will be based on the average for Cleveland State University work or the average for all college work, whichever is lower. In determining the grade average for graduation honors, the Cleveland State University method of computing grade-point averages will be used.

Credit Hour, GPA, and Degree Applications


The faculty of each college determines the minimum credit hours and cumulative GPA a student in that college must earn in order to graduate. In no case shall a student graduate with fewer than 120 semester credit hours or a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00.

If a student receives an Incomplete (I) or (X) grade during her or his final semester, the date of graduation will be the end of the semester in which the instructor submits the grade change to the Office of the University Registrar.

Residence Requirements

To earn a bachelor’s degree at Cleveland State University, there is a residence requirement which is: the last 30 credit hours, and 24 credits of upper-division course work, must be earned in residence at Cleveland State. The smaller of 18 credits or 50 percent of the departmental credits comprising a major must be earned in residence at Cleveland State. The smaller of nine credits or 50 percent of the departmental credits comprising a minor must be earned in residence at Cleveland State University.

Residency is defined as credit earned at Cleveland State or through an approved program such as the National Student Exchange or Study Abroad Programs that are led by CSU faculty or by faculty from the Northeast Ohio Universities Modern and Classical Languages Consortium (Kent State University, Cleveland State University, University of Akron and Youngstown State University).

Second Degree

A student may earn two different baccalaureate degrees in the same college or one degree from each of two colleges. In either case, the student must complete all the requirements for both degrees.

A student who has received a bachelor’s degree from another accredited college or university may earn a bachelor’s degree at Cleveland State University by fulfilling all college and major-field requirements and the 30-credit residence requirement.

Application for Graduation

A student intending to graduate begins the Graduation Application process on the Graduation tab within CampusNet by the appropriate deadlines. Please visit https://www.csuohio.edu/registrar/graduation-information for the most current listing of submission deadlines.

The university does not determine or pre-suppose a student’s intent to graduate. The student is required to formally record their intent to graduate by submitting an application for graduation. The student must satisfy all completion requirements. If completion requirements have not been met at the end of the graduating semester, the student will be advised accordingly by the Office of the University Registrar. The student is responsible for notifying the Office of the University Registrar once requirements have been met. The student must also ensure that any administrative or other requirements are met before notifying the Office of the University Registrar. These requirements include, but are not limited to, payment of tuition fees, grade changes and course substitutions.

In order to preserve the integrity of the student’s academic record and the credibility of a degree awarded by Cleveland State University, the Office of the University Registrar will not confer degrees retroactively unless there is clear evidence of extraordinary circumstances as deemed by the dean of the college. Authority to approve Retroactive Graduation for undergraduate students lies with the University Registrar.

Presence at Commencement

All eligible degree candidates are encouraged to attend the appropriate commencement ceremony. In order to participate in the commencement ceremony, a student must have completed or be currently attending all courses necessary to satisfy degree requirements. A student who completes her or his degree requirements during the summer is eligible to participate in the subsequent fall commencement ceremony.

Cleveland State University is unable to send letters to foreign embassies asking that citizens of their country be provided with visas so that they may attend commencement ceremonies at Cleveland State. We encourage such citizens to use the mechanisms already available to them in their countries to request a visa to visit the United States.

Catalog Rights

Degree candidates are responsible for meeting university graduation requirements stated in the Cleveland State University Catalog for the academic year in which they are admitted to Cleveland State University. These graduation requirements are known as catalog rights. Colleges reserve the right to alter the content of courses, add and delete courses, and change required curricula. It is the student’s responsibility to remain informed about such changes through regular interaction with their adviser in monitoring progress towards graduation. No university official can relieve students of this responsibility.

Students who interrupt their enrollment in the university for one full academic year or longer, consecutively, including summer, must meet the university graduation requirements of the catalog in effect when they return.

In all instances, students who return to Cleveland State University after enrolling at another college or university (except with transient or cross-registration permission) must follow the university graduation requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their readmission.

Students transferring from Cuyahoga Community College, Lakeland Community College or Lorain County Community College have special  catalog rights.

General Education Requirements

A comprehensive description of Cleveland State University’s General Education Requirements (GenEd) for undergraduate students is available online at http://www.csuohio.edu/academic/gened/

Students are responsible for ensuring the appropriate selection of courses to satisfy GenEd requirements and are encouraged to consult with their academic adviser regarding the applicability of selected courses.

Summary Table of New General Education Requirements
(as approved by Faculty Senate, April 2007; effective Fall 2008; updated Spring 2018)
Area Course/credit Requirement Min Credits Further Requirements
Basic Foundation
Intro to University Life 1 course 1 Must be completed in first year.
Writing/Composition 2 courses 6 Must be completed in the first year or prior to completion of the first 30 hours of coursework. Courses used to fulfill this requirement must be passed with a grade of C or better.
Mathematics/QL 2 courses 6 First course must be completed in the first year or prior to completion of the first 30 hours of coursework.
Breadth of Knowledge Requirements
Natural Sciences 2 courses plus 1 hour of lab 7 Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
Social Sciences 2 courses (from 2 different departments) 6
  1. Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
  2. At least one of these courses, or one of the approved Arts and Humanities courses, must be focused on Africa, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East.
Arts and Humanities 2 courses (from 2 different departments) 6
  1. Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
  2. At least one of these courses, or one of the approved Social Sciences courses, must be focused on Africa, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East.
Social Diversity 2 courses 6 Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
  1. One course must be African-American.
  2. One course must be U.S. diversity course.

Transfer students with 60+ credit hours only have to fulfill half of the Social Diversity requirement. They may take either an African American Experience or a U.S. Diversity course.

Additional Components
Writing Across the Curriculum (including Speaking Across the Curriculum) 3 courses (must be passed with C grades or better) At least 1 credit for each course

Three courses are required. One course must be in the major program. A student may substitute one approved SPAC course for one of the WAC courses.

Individual courses cannot be used to earn both WAC and SPAC credit.

A student must earn a C grade or better in a WAC or SPAC course to earn WAC or SPAC credit.

WAC and SPAC courses must be completed at CSU. A student cannot receive WAC or SPAC credit for a transfer course.

Transfer students:

  • A student transferring in 90+ credit hours must take one WAC course in his or her major. A SPAC course may not be substituted.
  • A student transferring in 60-89 credit hours must take either two WAC courses, or one WAC course and one SPAC course. Of these, one course must be in the student’s major.
Pre-requisite for all WAC courses: Completion of the general education Writing/Composition requirement.
Capstone Experience 1 course or

The Capstone course must be completed at CSU.

A student cannot receive Capstone credit for a transfer course.

The First-Year Writing Program

College Writing I and II (ENG 100  or 101  and 102 ) (or an approved equivalent writing course) are university-degree requirements, designed to concentrate on composition skills that are essential for success in many college courses and most professions. These courses lay the foundation for the university’s Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) course requirements. Students should, therefore, enroll in ENG 100 or 101 as soon as possible in their college careers. Students taking First-Year Writing courses at Cleveland State must earn a C or better in both ENG 100 or 101 and 102 (or their equivalents) in order to graduate.

Placement Testing: Before enrolling in ENG 100 or 101, all students, including transfer students who have not taken Freshman English, must complete the placement process. Placement is done through ACT/SAT scores, high school GPA scores, or written exam.

Placement for international students or students without ACT/SAT or high school GPA scores: International students should take the English Placement Exam. If they do not place into ENG 100 or 101, they should register for ESL 096, which will prepare them for the First-Year Writing series.

The ENG 101 in the Writing and Composition General Education requirement is waived for students who place into ENG 102 through CSU’s written placement exam, ACT/SAT scores, or high school GPA scores. Students who place into ENG 102 will get an updated Degree Audit report that waives ENG 101. This is an automated process. 

ENG 100/101-102 as Matriculation Requirements: All students, in order to graduate from Cleveland State University, must complete the First-Year Writing requirement within the first 30 hours of academic work at the university by passing ENG 100 or 101 and ENG 102 (or equivalent course) with grades of C or better. Students who have not completed ENG 102 (or equivalent course) within their first 30 hours may not register for any further courses without registering for the appropriate writing course.

Contact information:
For First-Year Writing: William Breeze, 216-523-7145.