Jun 25, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2012 - 2013 
Undergraduate Catalog 2012 - 2013 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

University Regulations



Enrollment dates and procedures can be found on the University Registrar’s website at www.csuohio.edu/registrar.

Enrollment Status

An undergraduate student enrolled in at least 12 credit hours (excluding courses taken on an audit basis) each semester shall be considered a full-time student. Enrollment of six credit hours shall be considered half-time and fewer than six credit hours shall be considered less than half-time.

Class Rank

Undergraduate class rank is determined by the number of cumulative hours completed.

Determination of Undergraduate Class Rank
Rank Hours
Freshman 0-29 hours
Sophomore 30-59 hours
Junior 60-89 hours
Senior 90+ hours


Each term it is necessary for a student to select courses and pay the appropriate fees to officially enroll for classes. Details regarding enrollment options are available on the University Registrar’s webpage at www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar.

Each term’s enrollment dates and procedures can be found on the university’s academic calendar. Add/drop/withdrawal deadlines may be reduced proportionately for any alternatively scheduled course that does not follow that term’s established begin and end dates.

Changes to Enrollment

A student may enroll for a course by the end of the first week of classes in fall and spring term or before the posted deadline for summer sessions and alternatively scheduled courses without permission. After the first week and up to the 15th day of the term for fall and spring or until the last day to register/add with permission for summer term and alternatively scheduled courses, enrollment may only occur with the permission of the instructor by way of the appropriate late enrollment form. All enrollment forms are available on the University Registrar’s website.

Official University Withdrawal Regulations

A student may withdraw from a course without permission through the 10th week of fall and spring or before the published deadline for summer sessions and alternatively scheduled courses.

A withdrawal prior to the 15th day of fall and spring or before the published summer session deadline will not result in a grade on the student transcript. A withdrawal after the 15th day up through the withdrawal deadline will be indicated on the university official academic record by a “W.”

Non-attendance does not constitute an official withdrawal from the course. A grade of “F” may be assigned when a student fails to complete a course or withdraw.

Dropping/withdrawing from courses may affect student financial aid. Students are strongly encouraged to consult their college advising office or Campus411 prior to withdrawing from classes in the current term or retroactively.

Administrative Withdrawal

The university has the authority to withdraw students from classes. Such withdrawals can be enforced upon the request of instructors or academic departments for a variety of reasons including lack of prerequisite course work, inadequate placement results or non-attendance.

Attendance Requirements

Students are expected to attend class. If a student expects to be absent for an extended period of time, notification should be given to the course instructor or college dean. Non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal.

Academic Course Load

The maximum number of credit hours a student may enroll in for the term is determined by each college. A student wishing to enroll in more credits than the college permits must do so only with the written consent of the student’s academic dean or academic advising unit. This written consent must be submitted at the time of enrollment. For college specific information, visit the Academic Course Load section for the appropriate academic unit.

Undergraduate Students Taking Graduate Courses

An undergraduate student who is pursuing a baccalaureate degree at Cleveland State University may be granted permission to take one or more (maximum of nine credit-hours) graduate courses at the 500 level if the student meets all the following conditions:

  1. The student must be within 30 hours of graduation.
  2. The student must have an overall grade point of 2.75 or better through the preceding semester.
  3. The student must have a 3.00 or better grade-point average in the major field.
  4. The student must obtain permission from his or her adviser, the instructor of the course, and the department chair, via signature on the Undergraduate Student Permission to Take Graduate Courses form.

An undergraduate student who is deficient in any of the above respects may not take a graduate course without the approval of the academic dean of the college where the course is offered and the graduate dean. Undergraduate students may not register for 600- to 800-level graduate courses.

Credit for these courses, up to a maximum of nine credits for courses where the grade received is B or above, may be applied at a later point to a graduate degree program provided that the credit was not used to satisfy baccalaureate degree requirements. Internal transfer of credit is subject to Graduate College transfer credit regulations.

Post-baccalaureate and non-degree students enrolled at the undergraduate level may not register for graduate-level classes.

College-to-College Transfer

A student wishing to transfer from one college of the university to another may do so with the consent of both deans. The transfer request is initiated with the Advising Office of the college in which the student is currently enrolled.

Declaration of Major

Undergraduate students are strongly encouraged to identify major areas of study in conjunction with their academic advisers early in their academic career. It is relatively common for students to explore several areas of study. However, in order to provide students with the best possible opportunity to graduate in a timely manner, all undergraduate students are required to formally declare a major before completing 60 credits. Transfer students who are admitted to the university with more than 60 credits are allowed one semester of study before enrolling in the subsequent semester. This requirement applies to degree-seeking students. Certain colleges and/or programs of study may have specific declaration of major requirements. In those cases, the college/program requirements supersede this university requirement. Contact the University Advising Center and College Advising Offices to facilitate any changes to your major.

Transient Status for Current Cleveland State Students at Other Schools

Transient status is approved for eligible students who are currently in good academic standing, up to the limit of eight semester hours over the course of their career at Cleveland State University. Students will not be approved for transient status beyond this limit except when the course(s) to be taken are not offered at Cleveland State and can be justified in terms of their academic program. All work to be completed on a transient basis must be approved in advance through submission of the Transient Permission Form, which is available through the University Registrar’s website at: http://www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/forms/ as well as the various collegiate academic advising offices.

Prior approval must be obtained by students to ensure acceptance and applicability of transient work, according to the following guidelines:

  1. All students must obtain approval from the dean’s office of the academic college in which they are enrolled.
  2. Declared majors must also obtain approval of a faculty adviser within their department in cases where the course is to be applied toward a major-field requirement.

Students who are in their last 30 credits of work at Cleveland State University, and those with junior standing wishing to attend a two-year institution, must seek approval of transient status by petitioning the University Petitions Committee prior to taking the course. Students with junior standing (but not in their last 30 hours) may take a course at a four-year institution with transient permission.

Cross Registration

Full-time Cleveland State students, in good academic standing, can cross-register for a course each semester on a no-fee basis at 14 local colleges and universities. This status is designed to enhance the educational programs of students by allowing them to register for courses not offered at their home school. Cross registration forms can be obtained from Campus411 or by visiting the University Registrar’s webpage. Students should be aware of the scheduling differences at each institution.

Credit for Study Abroad

A student who seeks credit for study abroad should consult in advance with the study-abroad coordinator, who will assist the student in obtaining approval for plans.

To be eligible for study abroad, a student must have a university GPA of at least 2.00 and must be enrolled as a degree or non-degree seeking student. Graded credit is awarded only for academic work completed in faculty-led Cleveland State University study abroad programs and programs led by faculty from the Northeast Ohio Universities Modern and Classical Languages Consortium (CSU, Kent State University, University of Akron and Youngstown State University). Final authorization of transfer credit is given after the student presents to the Study-Abroad Manager documentation showing fulfillment of approved written plans for credit and after review by appropriate academic departments.

Alternative Credit


The following programs/services allow students to begin college work at levels consistent with their academic background, thereby avoiding the repetition of material already mastered. These options also permit students to pursue more flexible schedules and reduce the time required for completion of graduation requirements. Students may be granted credit through these programs at the time of initial enrollment at Cleveland State University or subsequent to their matriculation. Credit granted through the following programs is not, however, applicable in the calculation of enrollment status (full-time, half-time, etc.) for the term in which it is completed or posted to the academic record.

Credit by Examination

The four types of examination credit recognized by Cleveland State University are those earned through the Advanced Placement Program (AP), for which there is no limit on the number of credits that can be granted, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) general exams, for which a maximum of 30 credit hours can be granted, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) subject exams, for which a maximum of 30 credit hours can be granted, and departmental examinations, for which a 30-credit limit also exists.

The following regulations apply to the pursuit of credit by examination:

  1. Credit is granted only to matriculated, degree-seeking students.
  2. Credit granted for successful completion of an examination will be entered on the student’s permanent record as hours earned. A grade is not assigned for such work.
  3. If a student does not receive a score high enough to grant credit, no entry is made on his or her permanent record.
  4. Credit will not be granted for areas of study or for particular courses in which the student has already earned or been granted equivalent Cleveland State credit.
  5. Generally, Cleveland State does not approve for credit the score made when an examination has been repeated.
  6. Credit earned through CLEP or Advanced Placement may not be applied toward the student’s residence requirement. However, credit earned for departmental examinations may be utilized toward this requirement.

All students interested in pursuing credit by examination are urged to discuss their plans with an academic adviser prior to registering for the examination(s).

College Level Examination Program

The College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is offered under the auspices of the College Entrance Examination Board. The Examination Program consists of two components: general and subject examinations. Both types of examinations are administered through Cleveland State’s Testing Center, as well as at other testing centers across the country.

Students seeking credit through CLEP after completing Cleveland State or other college-level work are cautioned to determine in advance with an academic adviser whether such credit will duplicate that already earned. Transfer students who have received credit through CLEP at another institution should have the official score report sent to the Office of the University Registrar for evaluation.

The general examinations comprise a series of five comprehensive exams in the areas of English, Humanities, Mathematics, Natural Science, and Social Science/History. Cleveland State requires a minimum score of 500 in order to grant credit for any of these examinations.

The subject examinations are end-of-course exams for 35 widely taught undergraduate courses representing a diverse range of academic disciplines. Cleveland State requires a minimum score of 52 in order to grant credit for any of these examinations. For certain examinations the student is required to complete an essay in addition to the objective section.

Departmental Examinations

End-of-course examinations are administered by various university departments. Each participating department’s chairperson shall decide the grading and level of achievement required for credit from these exams. The Department of Modern Languages also provides examination opportunities in foreign languages not typically offered by the department, contingent upon the availability of a qualified examiner. Questions about this and other departmental exams for credit should be directed to the appropriate office. A fee is charged for each departmental exam attempted.

Military Training and Experience

Cleveland State University grants college-level credit for military training and experience in accordance with the credit recommendations provided by the American Council on Education. In order to have such work evaluated and added to the permanent academic record a student needs to submit to the Office of the University Registrar certified copies of any documentation related to these experiences, including official military transcripts or discharge forms. Decisions regarding the utilization of credit granted through this program shall be made at the discretion of the student’s academic adviser.

Assessment and Accreditation of Prior Learning Experience (AAPLE)

The Assessment and Accreditation of Prior Learning Experience (AAPLE) is a credit for life experience program offered by the Maxine Goodman Levin College of Urban Affairs at Cleveland State University. The program is designed to award undergraduate academic credit to majors in urban studies for previous substantial learning experience in settings other than the classroom. Students may earn up to 24 credits through this program; fees are assessed at approximately one-half of the current tuition (per credit hour) rate.

Veterans’ Educational Benefits

The veteran representative certifies the enrollment of veterans to the Veterans Administration (VA) for those students who have completed application for VA Educational Benefits to the Campus 411 Office. Once the application or change of program form is on file, certification of enrollment will be automatic. Students will still
have to verify it on the VA’s website under WAVE at the end of each month. Students with questions about their benefits or certification should speak with a specialist in Campus 411 or call the VA Office at 216-687-2053. All enrollments are subject to audit by the Veterans Administration. Any overpayment in veterans’ benefits discovered through a VA audit will result in the veteran assuming liability for repayment.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA)

Cleveland State University is required to give annual notice to students, or parents of students, of the rights granted by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. In accordance with this act you are notified of the following:

Right to Inspect

You have the right to inspect and review information contained in educational records maintained by Cleveland State University.

Right to Request Amendment

You have the right to request an amendment of an educational record that you believe to be inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of your FERPA rights. This includes the right to a hearing should the university decide not to alter a record according to your request.

Right to Prevent Disclosure

You have the right to restrict the release of information that may be disclosed on an unlimited basis by university personnel in response to oral or written requests. Certain exceptions to this rule are specified in the Act. See also Student Rights Regarding the Release of Directory Information.

Right to File a Complaint

You have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning any belief you have that Cleveland State University has failed to comply with the provision of FERPA. Written complaints should be directed to The Family Policy Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20202-4604. Phone: 202-260-3887. Fax: 202-260-9001.

A copy of Cleveland State University’s institutional policies on access to student records may be obtained by request from the Office of the University Registrar in KB 1400 or viewed on the Web at www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/privacy/ferpa.html. These policies set forth the procedures for inspection and amendment of educational records.

Student Rights Regarding the Release of Directory Information

The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) as amended, prohibits Cleveland State University from disclosing or releasing a student’s “education record” or personally identifiable information contained in that record without the student’s consent. FERPA defines “education records” as “those records, files, documents and other materials which (i) contain information directly related to a student; and (ii) are maintained by an educational agency or institution or by a person acting for such agency or institution.”

One of the exceptions to FERPA permits the university to release or disclose “directory information” about students without their consent. The university will release the following as “directory information” unless otherwise instructed by the student:

  • Name
  • Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
  • Height and weight for members of athletic teams
  • Dates of attendance
  • Degrees earned and awards (honors) earned

Students who wish to restrict the release of the foregoing information can do so via CampusNet under the Student Records option or by submitting the Directory Information Restriction Request form to Campus411. The form can be found on the University Registrar’s website under Downloadable Forms at www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar or by visiting Campus411 in person. This restriction will remain in effect until you request in writing that it be removed. However, even if you file such a request, the university will release information as necessary if it is determined that disclosure is permitted by FERPA without prior consent (e.g., response to a subpoena, health or safety emergency, etc.). Refer to the University Registrar’s website at www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar for more information on FERPA.

Please be aware that if a student requests that the foregoing information be withheld, it will be withheld from a variety of sources, including friends, relatives, prospective employers, insurance agencies, honor societies, and the news media. Students should carefully consider the consequences of withholding such information before they do so.

Student Records

Right to Review Records

Students attending Cleveland State University have the right to review educational records which consist of official records, files, and data directly related to themselves which are maintained by department, college, or university offices. Personal files maintained by faculty or staff are excluded from coverage under this policy.

Medical and counseling records maintained by professional or paraprofessional physicians or counselors which are used in treatment or counseling with a student are deemed confidential and need not be shared with a student. Such records may be reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student’s choice. The following is a list of college and departmental offices and the records they may retain.

  • Admissions Offices (Graduate)
    • Admissions File
      (Records submitted by applicants are not available for inspection until admittance and registration of the student.)
  • Alumni Office
    • Degree information for alumni
    • Names and addresses of alumni
  • College Dean’s Office
    • Student File
  • College Departmental Offices
    • Student File
  • College of Education–Student Personnel Service
    • College of Education student records will be maintained in this office rather than in the Education College Dean’s Office. Under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, confidential materials submitted prior to January 1, 1975, are not available. Records that are available include: (undergraduate) academic records, students’ written objectives, speech and hearing test results, T.B. test results, and schedules; (graduate) application, transcript, GRE test results or Miller Analogies Test results, and letters of recommendation.
  • College of Law–Dean’s Office
    • Admission file
    • Placement file
    • Student file
  • CO-OP Office
    • Education file
    • Employer file
  • Division of Collegiate Studies
    • Admission information
    • Diagnostic Test Information
  • Judicial Affairs–Department of Student Life
    • University Judiciary Reports and Conduct Records
  • Placement Office
    • Placement folders submitted by students for employment purposes
  • Treasury Services
    • Student Financial Record
  • University Police
    • Incident Report/ Crime Log
  • University Registrar
    • Academic Record
    • Admission Record (undergraduate only)
    • Student Schedule
    • Residency Petition
    • Change of Name Record
    • Transcript Request File
    • Transient Record
    • Graduation Application File
    • Registration/Enrollment Material
    • Veterans’ Certification File


Credit Hour

The university is conducted on the semester plan, the school year being divided into two semesters, each lasting 15 weeks. Each semester credit represents approximately 15 hours of classroom instruction or the equivalent.

Grades with Quality Point Value

The following grades for undergraduate courses have quality-point value and figure in the computation of the grade-point average.



















4.0 quality points

3.7 quality points

3.3 quality points

3.0 quality points

2.7 quality points

2.3 quality points

2.0 quality points

1.0 quality points

0.0 quality points

Grades Without Quality Point Value

The following grades for undergraduate courses do not figure in the computation of the grade-point average:

# - This notation is used to signify a course that has been repeated and for which a higher grade has replaced this grade (used prior to Spring 2007 term).

I - Incomplete Grade. An “I” grade can be assigned by the instructor when all three of the following conditions are met:

  1. Student has the potential to pass the course,
  2. Student has not completed all assignments for reasons deemed justified by the instructor, and
  3. The student has notified the instructor prior to the end of the grading period.

If all three conditions listed above are not met, the instructor has the option of assigning an “X” or of assigning a letter grade based on completed work. Please note that an “I” automatically becomes an “F” if not resolved by the last day of instruction of the following semester.

The grade of Incomplete (I) is given when the work in a course has been generally passing, but when some specifically required task has not been completed through no fault of the student.

The date assigned by the faculty member for completion of the work for undergraduate courses cannot be later than the last day of classes of the next term following the term in which the Incomplete grade was received. (The time limit may extend up to four weeks into the fall semester for Incomplete grades received during the spring semester.) For all cases, the time limit applies whether the student is enrolled or not. If a grade change is not submitted by the end of the time limit, the Incomplete becomes an F.

NC - No Credit. (Audit. See explanation below.)

S - Satisfactory includes SA, SB, SC grades. Equivalent to a C or better.

T - Temporary. A designation given at the end of the term when a course is scheduled to be continued beyond one term.

U - Unsatisfactory includes UD, UF grades. Equivalent to a D or F.

W - Authorized Withdrawal.

X - X Grade. The grade of “X” can be assigned by the instructor when an attending/participating student has stopped attending/participating without notification and has not completed all assignments for reasons that cannot be determined by the end of the grading period. An “X” automatically becomes an F if not resolved by the last day of instruction of the following semester. Should the faculty member choose not to submit a grade for a student, e.g., student never attended, a grade of “X” will be assigned.

Audit of Courses (NC)

The grade of “No Credit” is given when a student enrolls in a course on the audit grading basis. Before registering for a course on this basis, a student must obtain authorization from the dean’s office. Students who audit a course pay full tuition but do not earn credit for the course. A course taken on an audit basis cannot be included in the calculation of enrollment status.

Only students who have been admitted to the university may audit a course. Students may not change the grading basis of a course after the last day to register without permission.

Grade Dispute/Grade Changes

Definition: A ―change of grade‖ is a request by an instructor to alter a grade that has already been submitted.

A faculty member may change a grade (1) because of an error in computation or (2) because of circumstances he or she deems ―extraordinary‖ which bear on the appropriateness of the grade awarded. A student wishing a change of grade must contact the course instructor. If the instructor cannot be contacted, the student must contact the Chair/Director of the Department/School in which the course was offered. If the instructor (or, in the absence of the instructor the Chair/Director) agrees that the course grade should be changed, the following procedure must be followed.

Change of grade forms must be used to request that posted grades be changed. The instructor of record in the course in which the grade was awarded MUST sign the change of grade form. In the event that the instructor of record cannot sign the form (e.g., because s/he has left the university or cannot be contacted), the change of grade form may be signed, instead, by the Chair/Director of the Department/School in which the course was offered. In all cases, the Dean of the College in which the course was offered must also sign the change of grade form. Change of grade forms must be filed no later than the last day of class (not including exam week) of the second semester following the semester in which the course was offered.

If the instructor does NOT agree that the grade should be changed, the student may initiate a grade dispute, using the following procedure:

Grade Dispute:

Definition: A grade dispute is a situation in which a student requests that an instructor change a grade that has already been posted but the instructor disagrees that the change should be made.

After determining that the instructor is unwilling to change the grade, the student should contact the Chair or Director of the program in which the course was offered and indicate in writing the reasons why the student believes the grade should be changed. The burden is on the student to prove that a computational error has been made or that non-uniform standards have been applied in assigning the grade. The student must submit their written explanation to the department chair no later than the last day of class of the semester following the semester in which the course was offered.

The department chair, upon receipt of the student’s written explanation, shall share it with the instructor of record in the course in question and request a written response. This response shall then be shared with the student. The chair will then arrange a meeting, at which s/he will serve as mediator, between the student and faculty member and attempt to resolve the dispute. If the instructor refuses to submit a written response and/or to participate in a meeting with the student, the chair is empowered to render a decision on the student’s request. Otherwise, the chair may serve only as a mediator. If both the student and the faculty member agree to the solution proposed by the chair, the outcome of whatever process is adopted by the parties will be binding and the matter cannot be appealed further.

If the faculty member and student cannot agree to a solution, the chair may, at either party’s request, forward the dispute to the undergraduate college grade-dispute committee in the college in which the course was offered (if no formal committee exists, the dispute shall be referred to a committee designated by the College Dean). The written documents produced by the student and the faculty member shall be forwarded to the committee, along with a statement by the chair describing his or her attempted mediation and its outcome. The College committee will consider the documents submitted and the testimony of both the student and the instructor. That committee has final authority in deciding if there is substantial justification for the claim and assigning the final grade.

The decision and rationale of the undergraduate college grade-dispute committee must be forwarded to the University Admissions and Standards Committee which determines whether appropriate procedures have been followed. If the University Admissions and Standards Committee determines due process has been afforded, the decision of the college grade-dispute committee stands and there are no further appeals within the University. If the determination is that due process has NOT been afforded, the matter shall be returned to the Dean of the college in which the dispute originated with a written statement of the reasons for the Committee’s determination and a recommendation that the grade dispute process be restarted at the step at which the violation of due process occurred.

Approved by Faculty Senate May 6, 2009

Grade-Point Average

A student’s academic standing at Cleveland State University is expressed in terms of the grade-point average (GPA). This is determined by dividing the total quality points earned by the total credit hours attempted. All grade-point averages are carried to two decimal places unrounded.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory (S/U) Grading Basis

A student who has earned at least 30 credits may take one course each term on the S/U basis, up to the limit of four courses. A student on probation is not eligible to take courses on this basis.

Students may elect to enroll in any course on this grading basis except those in their major field and those which are specified in their curriculum by course number and/or course title. No more than one course completed on this basis may be used to satisfy an elective requirement in a minor field. Students may not change the grading basis of a course after the last day to register without permission.

The S grade is defined as C or better, and neither the S nor the U will have any bearing on the student’s grade-point average.

Courses designated as S/U only cannot be taken for graded credit and are exempt from the four course limit.

Course Repeat Policy

The Course Repeat Option provides students who have done poorly the opportunity to repeat courses, up to two times. Students may use the D or F Option to attempt to increase their grade-point average (excluding pass/fail courses) using their new grade to replace their previous grade. The previous course(s) will remain on the official transcript for historical purposes only. Students may use the C or Higher Option for completion of program requirements that may require a higher grade than was initially received by the student.

Repeating “D” or “F” graded courses

  • Courses may be repeated when any grade equivalent to a D or below which affects the grade-point average has been earned.
  • Course Repeat Option may NOT be applied more than two (2) times to the same course.
  • The letter grade earned in the most recent attempt will be included in cumulative credit totals and grade-point average, even if that grade is lower than the previous grade.
  • Prior to Spring 2007, repeated courses and grades were recorded on the transcript and noted with a “#” indicating that the course has been repeated. Effective Spring 2007, repeated courses are designated with the comment “Course Repeated, Attempt Forgiven.”
  • All courses designated with a “#” or the “Course Repeated, Attempt Forgiven” comment will not be included in cumulative credit totals and grade-point averages and are not applicable toward graduation requirements.
  • Course Repeat Option does not apply to courses which have an alternative repeat policy stated in their course descriptions. Academic programs may also restrict the use of Course Repeat Option.
  • Course Repeat Option does not apply to courses graded S/U. Only courses for which a letter grade can be earned are covered by Course Repeat Option.

Repeating Courses graded “C” or Higher

Students may choose to repeat courses in which a grade of C or higher is earned a maximum of two (2) times (depending on whether there are any restrictions specific to that course, see course descriptions in the Undergraduate Catalog to determine if restrictions apply). However, courses repeated under these circumstances will have all earned grades calculated into the cumulative GPA and attempted hours and Course Repeat Option will not apply.

Note: Effective Summer 2005, this new comprehensive Course Repeat Option replaced the existing Course Repeat and Freshman Forgiveness policy. The Course Repeat Option is not retroactive to courses already repeated under prior policies. Students repeating courses originally taken on quarters or that do not have the same title, course abbreviation, or catalog number as the original course must submit a Course Repeat Form to Campus411 in MC 116G.

Academic Misconduct

The university policy on undergraduate academic misconduct is outlined in a statement available in the college offices. Initially, a faculty member is expected to deal with academic misconduct by assessing the appropriate penalty as recommended in the Academic Regulations section.

If a student disagrees with either the charge or the penalty, she or he may seek redress through the department chair and the dean. If academic misconduct is determined to have taken place, the student is informed of the decision, the penalty is imposed, and the misconduct recorded in the college and in the University Registrar’s Office. The notation remains on the student’s record for a period of three years or until the student graduates, whichever comes earlier. It is removed thereafter unless the student has been found guilty of a second offense.

The academic misconduct procedure provides for an appeal through the University Academic Misconduct Review Committee. If the committee determines that no violation has occurred, it will authorize the removal of the notation from the record. Otherwise, an appropriate penalty will be assessed.

Official Academic Transcripts

Students may request an official academic transcript via the Web (at http://www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/webtranscripts.html), mail or in person at Campus411. Written authorization from the student along with payment is required before any order can be processed.

Transcripts will not be released for students who have an outstanding financial obligation to the university.

Additional information regarding transcript policies and procedures are available at www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/.

Academic Standing Rules for Undergraduate Students

All undergraduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade-point average (GPA) of 2.0 to remain in good standing.

Students will be placed on probation the first time that their cumulative GPA falls below 2.00 if their semester GPA is at least 1.00. Students who earn a semester GPA below 1.00, regardless of their cumulative GPA, will be reviewed by their college to determine whether probation or academic dismissal is the most appropriate academic standing.

Students who have earned 60 or fewer semester credits and who fail to achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.00 after a semester on probation will be reviewed by their college for continued probation or academic dismissal. Evidence of substantial academic improvement is required for continued probation.

Students who have earned more than 60 semester credits and who fail to achieve a cumulative GPA of 2.00 after a semester on probation will be automatically dismissed.

Academic Probation is a designation on a student’s record that serves as an academic warning. Students on academic probation are not restricted by the university from participating in extra-curricular activities, competing on athletic teams, or registering for courses. Some students, however, may need to see an academic advisor prior to registration.Though participation in these activities is not restricted by the university, individual departments, programs, or organizations may require additional standards.

Students should direct inquiries regarding academic standing actions to their academic advising office.

Reassessment Eligibility and Process

The Academic Reassessment Policy is designed to facilitate the return to good academic standing of students who have accumulated poor grades in the early stages of their education at Cleveland State University.

A student is eligible for academic reassessment, after an absence of at least one calendar year, if (1) the student returns to Cleveland State University with no more that 90 semester credits earned and a cumulative CSU grade-point average of less than 2.00 and (2) the student successfully completes at least 16 semester credits with a CSU grade-point average of no less than 2.00 following the return. If a student’s academic record indicates more than one absence of at least one academic year, no fewer than 16 semester credits must be successfully completed following the most recent absence in order for academic reassessment to be granted. An absence is defined as a period of time in which no enrollment activity, i.e., attempted or earned academic credit, is posted to a student’s record.

If a currently enrolled, undergraduate degree-seeking student determines that academic reassessment is a viable option, the student must complete a Request for Academic Reassessment (http://www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/forms/reassessment.pdf), obtain the written approval of an academic adviser and submit the form to Campus411 prior to the end of the fifth week of the semester or summer immediately following the successful completion of at least 16 credits with a CSU grade-point average of no less than 2.0. A Request for Academic Reassessment will not be considered if it is received after the stated submission deadline.

If, upon return to Cleveland State University, a student fails to complete 16 semester credits with a CSU grade-point average of at least 2.0 and is ineligible for academic reassessment, the student will be subject to the university’s academic policy.


Once a Request for Academic Reassessment is submitted and approved, all courses completed prior to the student’s most recent absence of at least one calendar year from the university with any grade equivalent to a D or below that affects the grade-point average will be reassessed. Reassessment means the Office of the University Registrar will insert a notation on the official academic record to indicate that the course has been reassessed, is not included in the cumulative credit totals and grade-point average, and is not applicable toward graduation requirements. Academic Reassessment will only be granted once.

Academic Honors

President’s List

An undergraduate student taking 15 credits or more during a semester who has earned a grade-point average of 3.9 or above during that semester is placed on the President’s List for outstanding academic achievement. The President’s List is calculated on credits earned in course work for which grades of A through F are given. Credit earned in a course for which the grade of Satisfactory is achieved will not be counted as part of the 15 semester-credit minimum.

Dean’s List

A full-time student (12 credits or more per semester) or a part-time student completing a 12-hour step, who has earned a grade-point average of 3.25 or better, is placed on the Dean’s List for excellent academic performance. The Dean’s List is calculated on credits earned in course work for which grades of A through F are given. Credit earned in a course for which the grade of Satisfactory is achieved will not be counted as part of the 12 semester-credit minimum for full-time status.

University Valedictorian

For each commencement, a Valedictorian will be selected from the graduating class by a committee comprised of representatives from each college. The Valedictorian will be a student demonstrating outstanding academic qualifications and achievements in or contributions to the university or wider community. The successful candidate will deliver the valedictory speech at the commencement ceremony.

Candidates must have completed a minimum of 60 credits in-residence at Cleveland State University and attained a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.8 to be considered for Valedictorian selection.

Candidates seeking Valedictorian candidacy may petition their major department, presenting a summary of their qualifications and achievements. All nominations must be finalized by the middle of the spring (for spring graduates) and fall (for summer and fall graduates) semesters.

Graduation Honors

Students who have earned cumulative grade-point averages, calculated to two decimal places unrounded, between 3.30 and 4.00, graduate with the following honors:

3.30-3.59 Cum Laude
3.60-3.79 Magna Cum Laude
3.80-4.00 Summa Cum Laude

Graduation Honors for Transfer Students

If a student has transferred to Cleveland State University, graduation honors will be based on the average for Cleveland State University work or the average for all college work, whichever is lower. In determining the grade average for graduation honors, the Cleveland State University method of computing grade-point averages will be used.

Credit Hour, GPA, and Degree Applications


The faculty of each college determines the minimum credit hours and cumulative GPA a student in that college must earn in order to graduate. In no case shall a student graduate with fewer than 120 semester credit hours or a cumulative GPA of less than 2.00.

If a student receives an Incomplete (I) or (X) grade during her or his final semester, the date of graduation will be the end of the semester in which the instructor submits the grade change to the Office of the University Registrar.

Residence Requirements

To earn a bachelor’s degree at Cleveland State University, there is a residence requirement which is: the last 30 credit hours, and 24 credits of upper-division course work, must be earned in residence at Cleveland State. The smaller of 16 credits or 50 percent of the departmental credits comprising a major must be earned in residence at Cleveland State. The smaller of nine credits or 50 percent of the departmental credits comprising a minor must be earned in residence at Cleveland State University.

Residency is defined as credit earned at Cleveland State or through an approved program such as the National Student Exchange or Study Abroad Programs that are led by CSU faculty or by faculty from the Northeast Ohio Universities Modern and Classical Languages Consortium (Kent State University, Cleveland State University, University of Akron and Youngstown State University).

Application for Graduation

A student intending to graduate can obtain a graduation application form from her or his academic advising office and must submit it to the Office of the University Registrar by the appropriate deadlines. Please visit www.csuohio.edu/enrollmentservices/registrar/graduation.html for the most current listing of submission deadlines.

The university does not determine or pre-suppose a student’s intent to graduate. The student is required to formally record their intent to graduate by submitting an application for graduation. The student must satisfy all completion requirements. If completion requirements have not been met at the end of the graduating semester, the student will be advised accordingly in writing by the Office of the University Registrar. The student is responsible for notifying the Office of the University Registrar once requirements have been met. The student must also ensure that any administrative or other requirements are met before notifying the Office of the University Registrar. These requirements include, but are not limited to, payment of tuition fees, grade changes and course substitutions.

In order to preserve the integrity of the student’s academic record and the credibility of a degree awarded by Cleveland State University, the Office of the University Registrar will not confer degrees retroactively unless there is clear evidence of extraordinary circumstances as deemed by the dean of the college. Authority to approve Retroactive Graduation for undergraduate students lies with the University Registrar.

Second Degree

A student may earn two different baccalaureate degrees in the same college or one degree from each of two colleges. In either case, the student must complete all the requirements for both degrees. The student may receive each degree by applying and paying the fee for each.

A student who has received a bachelor’s degree from another accredited college or university may earn a bachelor’s degree at Cleveland State University by fulfilling all college and major-field requirements and the 30-credit residence requirement.

Presence at Commencement

All eligible degree candidates are encouraged to attend the appropriate commencement ceremony. In order to participate in the commencement ceremony, a student must have completed or be currently attending all courses necessary to satisfy degree requirements. A student who completes her or his degree requirements during the summer is eligible to participate in the subsequent fall commencement ceremony.

Cleveland State University is unable to send letters to foreign embassies asking that citizens of their country be provided with visas so that they may attend commencement ceremonies at Cleveland State. We encourage such citizens to use the mechanisms already available to them in their countries to request a visa to visit the United States.

Catalog Rights

Degree candidates are responsible for meeting university graduation requirements stated in the Cleveland State University Catalog for the academic year in which they are admitted to Cleveland State University. These graduation requirements are known as catalog rights. Colleges reserve the right to alter the content of courses, add and delete courses, and change required curricula. It is the student’s responsibility to remain informed about such changes through regular interaction with their adviser in monitoring progress towards graduation. No university official can relieve students of this responsibility.

Students who interrupt their enrollment in the university for one full academic year or longer, consecutively, including summer, must meet the university graduation requirements of the catalog in effect when they return.

In all instances, students who return to Cleveland State University after enrolling at another college or university (except with transient or cross-registration permission) must follow the university graduation requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their readmission.

Students transferring from Cuyahoga Community College, Lakeland Community College or Lorain County Community College have special  catalog rights.

General Education Requirements

A comprehensive description of Cleveland State University’s General Education Requirements (GenEd) for undergraduate students is available online at http://www.csuohio.edu/academic/gened/

Students are responsible for ensuring the appropriate selection of courses to satisfy GenEd requirements and are encouraged to consult with their academic adviser regarding the applicability of selected courses.

Transfer Students: see Grace Period

Summary Table of New General Education Requirements
(as approved by Faculty Senate, April 2007; effective Fall 2008)
Area Course/credit Requirement Min Credits Further Requirements
Basic Foundation
Intro to University Life 1 course 1 Must be completed in first year.
Writing/Composition 2 courses 6 Must be completed in the first year or prior to completion of the first 30 hours of coursework.
Mathematics/QL 2 courses 6 First course must be completed in the first year or prior to completion of the first 30 hours of coursework.
Breadth of Knowledge Requirements
Natural Sciences 2 courses plus 1 hour of lab 7 Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
Social Sciences 2 courses (from 2 different departments) 6 Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
  1. One introductory-level social science course.
  2. One introductory-level social science course focused on a society other than the US.

(Note: At least one of these courses, or one of the introductory-level Arts and Humanities courses, must be focused on Africa, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East.)

Arts and Humanities 2 courses (from 2 different departments) 6

Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.

  1. One introductory-level course in the arts or humanities.
  2. One introductory-level arts or humanities course focused on a society other than the US.

(Note: At least one of these courses, or one of the introductory-level Social Science courses, must be focused on Africa, Asia, Latin America or the Middle East.)

Social Diversity 2 courses 6 Each course must be a minimum of 3 hours.
  1. One course must be African-American.
  2. One course must be U.S. diversity course.
Additional Components
Writing Across the Curriculum (including Speaking Across the Curriculum) 3 courses At least 1 credit for each course One course must be in the major program. Students may substitute one approved “Speaking Across the Curriculum” (SPAC) course for one of the WAC courses. Individual courses cannot be used to earn BOTH WAC and SPAC credit. Transfer students must take at least one WAC course at CSU: juniors (60-89 credit hours) must complete two courses; seniors (at least 90 credit hours) must complete one course.
Capstone Experience 1 course or
1 Within major program.

The First-Year Writing Program

College Writing I and II (ENG 101 and 102) (or an approved equivalent writing course) are university-degree requirements, designed to concentrate on composition skills that are essential for success in many college courses and most professions. These courses lay the foundation for the university’s Writing Across the Curriculum (WAC) course requirements. Students should, therefore, enroll in ENG 101 as soon as possible in their college careers. Students taking First-Year Writing courses at Cleveland State must earn a C or better in both ENG 101 and 102 (or its equivalent) in order to graduate.

Placement Testing: Before enrolling in ENG 101, all students, including transfer students who have not taken Freshman English, must complete the placement process. Placement is done through ACT/SAT scores. Students who are not ready for ENG 101 may be placed in ENG 099 or 100.

Placement for international students or students without ACT/SAT scores: International students should take the English Placement Exam. If they do not place into ENG 101, they should register for ESL 096, which will prepare them for the First-Year Writing series.

ENG 101-102 as Matriculation Requirements: All students, in order to graduate from Cleveland State University, must complete the First-Year Writing requirement within the first 30 hours of academic work at the university by passing ENG 101 and ENG 102 (or equivalent course) with grades of C or better. Students who have not completed ENG 102 (or equivalent course) within their first 30 hours may not register for any further courses without registering for the appropriate writing course.

Contact information :
For First-Year Writing: William Breeze, 216-523-7145.

Grace Period for Transfer Students

  1. Students who started at another institution prior to Fall 2008 and have been continuously enrolled* at that institution and transfer into CSU will have the option of fulfilling the old Gen Ed requirements through summer 2010. If that student’s enrollment is interrupted, and they return to the transfer institution anytime from fall 2008 forward, they will have to complete GenEd 08 requirements. Beginning in Fall 2010, all transfer students will be expected to follow GenEd 08.
  2. Students who begin at another institution from Fall 2008 forward will not have this option and will be expected to meet the requirements of GenEd 08 when they transfer to CSU.

 *Continuous enrollment is defined in a manner consistent with catalog rights policy as applied to CSU native students. Students who interrupted their enrollment at the transfer institution for one full academic year or longer (i.e. 3 consecutive semesters, including summer) are not considered to have been continuously enrolled.