May 29, 2023
Return to: Programs Offered
Elizabeth Domholdt, Director, School of Health Science
Joanna DeMarco, Program Director
The 5-year B.S. + M.S. in Health Sciences is an accelerated degree completion program designed for high-performing undergraduates in the General Interest or Associate Degree Completion (2+2) tracks of the Health Sciences major. This program is designed to respond to the growing job opportunities in health-related settings by shortening the time for completion of a Master’s degree. Students can jump-start their careers as professionals in health sciences by accelerating the completion of the two degrees.
To be eligible for admission to the program, the student must:
- Have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher;
- Have completed 90 credit hours of the Bachelor of Science and BSHS program requirements;
- Provide three letters of recommendation from professionals (supervisors, faculty, advisors, etc) who are familiar with your work;
- Meet with program faculty to discuss successful progression through the program including course requirements;
- To remain in the program, students must achieve a B or better in graduate level coursework completed at the undergraduate level
Undergraduate students must submit two application forms:
- Accelerated 4+1 Master’s program application submitted to the graduate program director of the Master of Science in Health Sciences (MSHS) program no later than spring semester of junior year (junior year standing).
- MSHS application
Core and Required Courses:
- HSC 200 Introduction to Health Professions (Waived for 2+2 students) (3)
- HSC 203 Medical Terminology (1)
- MTH 347 Applied Statistics (3) OR
- PSY 317 Behavioral Science Statistics: Inference (3)
- PHL 240 Bioethics (3)
- COM 362 Health Communication (3)
Capstone (choose 1):
- HSC 484 Advanced Research and Writing Capstone (3) OR
- HSC 410 Evidence-Based Practice (3) OR
- HSC 487 Community Participatory Research (3)
Graduate courses to be completed during Undergraduate Program:
1 Area of Emphasis Course (Choose 1):
2 HSC courses (minimum of 6 credit hours)
3 Elective Courses (minimum of 9 credit hours)
See program faculty for a list of approved electives.
*To be completed during the undergraduate portion of the 4+1. Must earn a “B” or higher. Course applies to both the BSHS and the MSHS programs.
Overview of Procedures:
Students admitted to the joint five-year Bachelor/Master of Science program retain undergraduate status until they meet the requirements for the bachelor’s degree, at which point they will receive the BSHS degree.
Students must apply to the MSHS Program during Spring semester of Junior year. Once admitted to the combined program, students may complete up to 12 credit hours of graduate courses while enrolled in the undergraduate program. These 12 credit-hours count towards BOTH the undergraduate degree and the graduate degree requirements.
Upon receipt of the Bachelor’s degree, students who have been accepted into the combined program and who have a 3.0 or better average in their graduate courses will AUTOMATICALLY be admitted to the Graduate Program. They will have up to 12 hours of graduate coursework (and grades) placed on their graduate transcripts.
NOTE: STUDENTS MUST ATTEND THE NEXT REGULAR SEMESTER AFTER RECEIVING THE UNDERGRADUATE DEGREE AS A GRADUATE STUDENT TO CONTINUE IN THE PROGRAM. Graduate students must maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 to remain in the program.
Return to: Programs Offered