May 30, 2023
Cleveland State University offers a cutting-edge interdisciplinary graduate certificate in Cybersecurity & Data Privacy that prepare students to work in these fast-growing fields. The increasing number and sophistication of cyber-attacks on private and public organizations combined with a growing and complex array of data security and privacy regulations at the state, national and international levels have made data security and privacy protection one of the hottest new fields in the legal profession. Traditional law firms are adding or expanding data security and privacy practices and entirely new job categories requiring legal expertise are emerging as more organizations recognize the need to proactively manage their data security and compliance risks.
Flexible Online Option. CSU offers a flexible, asynchronous, online option to accommodate working professionals and students from outside Northeast Ohio seeking the graduate certificate.
Stackable Credential. All of the credits in this program can be used to complete the online Master of Legal Studies (MLS) in Cybersecurity & Data Privacy and other CSU graduate degrees.
Students seeking admission directly into the Certificate program must meet the same requirements as for the Master of Legal Studies program. Students already enrolled in the JD, MLS or LLM programs or another graduate program at CSU seeking admission to the Certificate program must obtain approval from the Program Director.
Certificate Requirements (12 Credits)
The Certificate Program requires students to complete a minimum of 12 credit hours from the courses listed, including the two required core courses listed below.
Core Courses (6 Credits)
These two courses provide the foundations of the Certificate program. Cybersecurity I must be completed before taking Cybersecurity II (elective). Privacy Law & Management can be taken at any point in the program.
- Law 741 - Cybersecurity I
- Law 747 - Privacy Law & Management
*asynchronous, online sections offered for each of the required courses
Elective Courses (6 credits)
Online Law Electives
- L746 Cybersecurity II (3 credits)
- L690 HIPAA and Privacy (3 credits)
- L700 Corporate Compliance I (3 credits)
- L702 Corporate Compliance II (3 credits)
- L735 Cyberlaw (3 credits)
- L770 Cybersecurity Technical Capstone
- L892 Introduction to American Law**
**only for non-JD students enrolled in section 81; requires Program Director permission)
- L665 Cybercrime (2 or 3 credits)
- L764 Cybersecurity Practicum (3 credits)
- L844 Cybersecurity Risk Assessment and Compliance (3 credits)
- L860 Upper Level Writing (2 or 3 credits) (*topic and advisor must be approved by the Center Director)
- Externship (*placement must be approved by the Center Director)
Business College Electives
A student may seek permission from the Program Director to substitute an alternative technology-related course to satisfy the 3-credit elective requirement.