Jul 25, 2024  
Graduate Catalog 2012 - 2013 
Graduate Catalog 2012 - 2013 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Education, M.Ed.

College of Education and Human Services

Julka Hall 210
(216) 687-4625

Programs of Study






Programs leading to the Master of Education degree are designed for individuals seeking to work as professional educators of children, youth, and adults. Many graduates seek employment in elementary and secondary schools. Some specializations are oriented toward business and community settings and prepare graduates to work in higher and adult education, social service agencies, corporate training centers, corporate fitness centers, community health centers, wellness/fitness centers, sports clubs, and outdoor/park recreational facilities. All courses in the programs are offered in the late afternoon and evening in order to accommodate students who wish to maintain full-time employment. During the summer term, courses are offered on a full-day schedule to permit full-time study.

Master of Education programs are offered in four departments within the College: Curriculum and Foundations; Counseling, Administration, Supervision, and Adult Learning (CASAL); Teacher Education; and Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance. The Department of Curriculum and Foundations is responsible for courses in the College Core. The Curriculum and Foundations Department also is responsible for courses in the Curriculum and Instruction specializations in the following areas: Educational Technology; Educational Research; and Gifted and Talented Learners. Initial teaching licensure in Secondary Education is also available in this department as a master’s degree in Urban Secondary Teaching (the MUST program). The CASAL Department offers degrees in Administration, Counseling, Supervision, and Adult Learning and Development. The Department of Teacher Education is responsible for the Curriculum and Instruction specializations in Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Middle Childhood (Mathematics and Science), Literacy Development and Instruction (Reading, TESOL, Bilingual Education, Adult Literacy), Secondary Education (all content fields, including Foreign languages and art), and Special Education (Early Childhood/Special Education, Mild/Moderate Educational Needs, Moderate/Intensive Educational Needs). The Health, Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance Department offers the Curriculum and Instruction specialization in Health and Physical Education, including a combined master’s and multi-age health licensure, as well as programs in Sport Management, Exercise Science, and Community Health Education. See the brief descriptions of each program and specialization below.

Faculty Research and Publications

College of Education and Human Services faculty members pursue a wide variety of research in six major areas:

  1. Equity issues, including race and ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic disadvantage.
  2. Educational/developmental consequences for special needs populations frequently associated with urban environments, including high-risk and premature infants; preschool populations; juvenile delinquents; mentally challenged, learning disabled, and behavior-disordered children; and gifted and talented students from low socio-economic, racially, and ethnically diverse backgrounds.
  3. Urban educational programs, including teaching English to speakers of other languages, literacy, and mathematics competencies, classroom management and discipline, social skills training, management of urban schools, counseling special urban populations, early childhood interventions (Head Start and day care), Reading Recovery, teacher induction programs, health, wellness, and physical education.
  4. Problems of adults in contemporary urban society, including stress, sport law, sports management, exercise science, health, and leisure-time uses.
  5. Foundations of urban education, including life-span development and learning, comparative educational policy, curriculum/methods, teacher education, history of education, and guidance and counseling in schools and the community.
  6. Legal issues in education and major educational policy issues.

Current faculty information can be located on the Cleveland State University Faculty Profile page.


The Master of Education degree program is fully accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the Ohio Department of Education. The Community Agency Counseling and School Counseling programs are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).

Financial Assistance

A limited number of graduate assistantships are available in each department, in the Dean’s Office, and through funded projects. Graduate assistants have teaching, research, and/or administrative responsibilities for which they receive financial support. For applications and information, contact the departments directly.

Career Information

The Master of Education degree qualifies graduates to move from entry-level positions in education to career positions with increased leadership responsibility. The degree enables classroom teachers to advance their careers, and provides initial certification/licensure for those who seek school administration, supervision, and counseling positions. Certain specializations provide initial entry or career mobility for educators in business or community settings. Prospects for career advancement in school settings are favorable at this time because of population shifts and staff retirements. Opportunities in business and community settings have increased as society has become more committed to life-long education for adults.

Admission Information

The following requirements must be met by each candidate applying to the master’s program:

  1. Fulfillment of College of Graduate Studies  requirements for admission, as described in this Catalog.
  2. Application to the Graduate Admissions Office for admission to the Master of Education program in one of the specialization areas. An area of specialization must be noted on the admission application form.
  3. Submission to the Office of Graduate Admissions of one official transcript from each college and/or university where existing degrees were completed. Transcripts must come directly from the degree-granting institution.
  4. Two letters of recommendation (for counseling programs only).
  5. A score of at the 50th percentile on the Miller Analogies Test, or a combined raw score of 1000 on the Verbal and Quantitative sections of Graduate Record Examination. However, a student applying for any program except Counseling is exempt from this requirement if:
    1. The baccalaureate degree is less than six years old at the time of application AND the undergraduate cumulative grade-point average is at least 2.75; OR
    2. The baccalaureate degree is more than six years old at the time of application AND the undergraduate cumulative grade-point average is at least 3.0; OR
    3. The student has completed twelve or more semester credits of Cleveland State graduate course work (including EDB 601  or HPR 601 ) AND received a grade of B- or better in EDB 601  or HPR 601  with a cumulative grade-point average of at least 3.0 and grades of B or better in the other courses.

Upon formal admission to the College, students must prepare a Program of Study with the assistance of an assigned advisor.

Note: Before completing an admission application, individuals who wish to obtain Ohio Department of Education licensure in order to work in public schools should obtain counseling from the Education Student Services Center, Julka Hall 210, telephone (216) 687-4625.

Apply Now: http://www.csuohio.edu/gradcollege/admissions/apply.html

Graduate Status 

Refer to the section on Admission Classifications  in this catalog.

Graduate Licensure Admission

An individual with a baccalaureate degree from a college or university with full academic accreditation who is seeking a State of Ohio teaching or school services license may apply for Graduate Licensure admission status. This status is for individuals who are not seeking a master’s degree. Requirements for admission are generally the same for Regular graduate degree status. Refer to the section on Admission to the College of Graduate Studies: Graduate Certificate and Licensure Admission  in this Catalog for admission procedures and requirements.

Transfer of Credits

In addition to the regulations of the College of Graduate Studies (including the six-year limit on course work), credits transferred from another university for application toward the MEd degree are subject to the following conditions:

  1. Approval of the program and departmental committee.
  2. No more than nine hours of graduate credit may be transferred, including a maximum of six credits earned for workshops from other universities. The credits must not have been used to fulfill the requirements for any other degree.
  3. Students must have twelve semester hours of graduate (500- to 800-level) course work completed at Cleveland State and a grade-point average of or better to have transfer credit recorded on their transcript.
  4. Not more than one-half of a student’s total graduate program may be a combination of transfer credit and credit by examination.
  5. All credits requested in transfer must carry a letter grade of A, A-, B+, or B in graduate courses. No S/F or S/U graded courses may be transferred. Petitions are not considered for an exception to this requirement.

Master of Education

Program of Study

A Program of Study document, showing all course work and other aspects of the master’s program, must be filed. The Program of Study should be developed in consultation with an advisor at the beginning of the student’s program and forwarded to the Education Student Services Center, Julka Hall 210. No elective courses should be taken without the advisor’s approval. Any subsequent changes in the student’s program should be approved, in advance, by the advisor and recorded on the approved Program of Study form on file in the Education Student Services Center, Julka Hall 210.

Practicum and Student Teaching Eligibility Requirements for Teacher Licensure

Eligibility for practicum or student teaching placement requires that student interns have satisfactorily met all of the conditions noted below. If these conditions are not completely fulfilled, field placement will be denied and the student will be administratively withdrawn from relevant course work. For questions, please contact the Office of Field Services (RT 1344; 216-687-4616) or the Education Student Services Center (Julka Hall 210; 216-687-4625).

  1. At the time of placement application, all student interns must have an approved Program of Study on file with the Education Student Services Center (Julka Hall 210) and have signed the Verification of Good Moral Character Statement on that form. In addition, Early Childhood majorsmust supply Field Services (RT 1344) with three acceptable letters of recommendation attesting to their good moral character and suitability for any pre-K teaching assignment.
  2. Interns must have achieved and maintained an overall grade-point average of at least 3.0 for all 400 and-above-level work required for licensure. No more than six credits of 400-level-or-above course work with a grade of C may be used to meet licensure requirements. Course work may be repeated with the approval of the COEHS Advising Office; however, it should be noted that repeating a graduate course does not eliminate any earlier recorded grade for that course on your transcript orits continued inclusion in the calculation of Hours Earned, Quality Points, and GPA.
  3. All interns must submit a negative TB (tuberculosis) test report (Mantoux version) to the Office of Field Services. If seeking licensure in Early Childhood or as an Intervention Specialist in Special Education (Early Childhood, Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Intensive), documentation must also be submitted verifying full immunization against Hepatitis B (three shots). In addition, candidates for Early Childhood licensure must supply proof of having satisfactorily passed a physical examination.
  4. Interns who do not already hold an Ohio teaching license or certificate must complete a civilian background fingerprint check and submit a valid copy of a Clearance Report from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI) to Field Services. For those who have not resided in Ohio for at least five continuous years, a Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) background check is also required. Electronic fingerprinting and BCI checks can now be obtained by appointment in the ESSC (Julka Hall 210) with prior fee payment at the Office of Treasury Services (UC 460).
  5. Separate completion and submission of an online application (https://coehsplace.csuohio.edu/ofs/index.cfm) for practicum or student teaching placement is needed. Applications for summer and fall placements must be received by February 15; those for spring placements must be received by September 15. Summer placements are made at the discretion of program faculty and may be limited and/or restricted. Please note that in addition to submitting an application, students must ultimately register for practicum and student teaching.
  6. Placement requires satisfactory completion of all specified prerequisite course work. (Please see your program checklist for a complete list of these courses.) Where mandated by specific programs, ongoing development of a professional portfolio may also be required to confirmsatisfactory progress in achieving program outcomes before practicum and student teaching placement.
  7. Eligibility for student teaching further requires that students have taken all required Praxis II examinations prior to the start of student teaching. If not initially sent to CSU by ETS, score reports should be submitted to the Office of Field Services.

Exit Requirements

Each participant in the master’s program must select one of the following exit requirements when planning the program of study:

  1. Comprehensive Examination (no credit).
  2. Project (1 to 6 credits).
  3. Thesis (1 to 6 credits).
  4. Other exit option approved by individual programs (contact program faculty for details).

Comprehensive Examination Option

The written comprehensive examination is prepared, administered, and evaluated by the student’s department. The examination is usually taken in the final semester of enrollment. Students must be registered for at least one credit hour during the semester in which they take the examination, have a program of study on file in the Education Student Services Center, and must have filed an application for graduation (see the Application for Graduation section in this Catalog). When the student’s completed examination has been evaluated, the department chair certifies the results to the Associate Dean. Should the student’s comprehensive examination be judged unsatisfactory, the student is permitted to take a second examination within one year of the first test date. A third examination is not permitted.

Thesis/Project Option

MEd candidates who do not take the comprehensive examination must complete either a project or a thesis as their culminating degree activity. Students must be registered for thesis/project credit each semester (excluding summer unless they are graduating during that semester) until the thesis or project is completed.

Thesis/Project Definitions

  1. Thesis: The thesis must be a written, in-depth, scholarly investigation of a specific area related to the major emphasis of the student’s program of study.
  2. Project: The project is usually a manuscript that documents the application of educational theory to practice and demonstrates the student’s capacity for evaluation and synthesis. In some instances, other media (e.g., film, videotape, computer program) may constitute the major product, but these must be accompanied by written documentation, explaining the application, value, and limitations of the product. In all cases, a project must include references to related works and must be presented in a form consistent with educational research publications.

Students considering the project or thesis options should contact the Education Student Services Center in the College of Education and Human Services (Julka Hall 210, telephone (216) 687-4625) to request Thesis or Project Option guidelines. Students also should request a copy of the Thesis and Dissertation Format Guidelines from the College of Graduate Studies web site http://www.csuohio.edu/gradcollege/students/thesis/.

Graduation Requirements

Before a Master of Education degree can be conferred, the student must:

  1. Complete at least 30 to 32 credit hours of course work at the 500 level or above.
  2. Achieve a grade point average of 3.0 or higher.
  3. File the required graduation application.
  4. Satisfactorily complete all exit requirements.
  5. Register for at least 1 graduate credit hour of course work in the semester of graduation, as well as in the semester in which the comprehensive examination is taken. As noted above, students choosing the thesis or project option must be registered for thesis/ project credit each semester (excluding summer, unless they are graduating during that semester) until the thesis or project is completed.

Degree Requirements

The Master of Education degree program consists of these academic components:

  1. College and/or Curriculum Cores: ten to thirteen credits.
  2. Area of Concentration/Specialization: sixteen to forty-eight credits.
  3. Electives: up to twelve credits.