May 19, 2024  
Undergraduate Catalog 2012 - 2013 
Undergraduate Catalog 2012 - 2013 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech and Hearing, B.A.


Minimum hours required for major: 40

Minimum hours required for minor: 18

Advising: Faculty adviser assigned upon declaration of major. Phone 216-687-3807.

Student organization: Chapter of NSSLHA (National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association)

The Speech and Hearing Program offers coursework for students who wish to enter the professions of speech-language pathology or audiology, which are concerned with the identification and treatment of communication disorders in human beings across the lifespan. Speech and hearing are interrelated fields that require knowledge of biology, psychology, sociology, and linguistics. The program at Cleveland State University provides an excellent pre-professional foundation that prepares students for professional training at the master’s and doctoral levels. Students may also earn an undergraduate minor in Speech and Hearing which is especially valuable for students majoring in education, special education, or the health-care professions.



Requirements of the College of Sciences and Health Professions: 

A minimum of 128 credit hours is required for a degree, of which 42 semester credit hours must be earned in 300- and/or 400-level courses.

General Education Requirements:

All degree-seeking students are required to meet general education requirements in addition to the course work required by the academic major. A comprehensive description of the requirements is found at

Major-Field Requirements

At the undergraduate level, students majoring in Speech and Hearing are required to take the following 40 credit hours:

School Speech-Language Pathology

The Master of Arts in Speech Pathology and Audiology is the minimum degree requirement for those students seeking the Professional Pupil Services License to practice as a school speech-language pathologist. In addition to the courses required for the Master of Arts degree students must also complete the coursework listed below, some of which is available at the undergraduate level. Master’s degree recipients who have completed these additional course and practicum requirements may apply to the Ohio Department of Education for a Pupil Services (teaching) license.


Undergraduates may complete SPH 435  and SPH 438  in preparation for completion of EST 575 at the graduate level.