Aug 12, 2020
This accelerated program enables students to earn both a Bachelor's in Journalism and Promotional Communication (JPC) and a Master's degree in Applied Communication Theory and Methodology in 5 years. The program allows a School of Communication student to take up to 12 credit hours of designated COM graduate courses and count these courses both toward the Bachelor's in JPC and the Master's degrees in COM. High performing undergraduate students may apply for this 5-year program as early as the end of their sophomore year. Students must apply before the spring semester of their third (junior) year of undergraduate study and, if accepted, start COM graduate coursework during their fourth (senior) year. Students may then complete all remaining COM graduate coursework in one year of full-time graduate study.
Admission to Program
A student is eligible to apply for the accelerated program if the following conditions are satisfied:
The student has been accepted as a JPC major and:
- The student has completed at least 65 credit hours (at least 16 hours in JPC and at least 30 credit hours earned at CSU);
- The student has at least junior standing at CSU; and
- The student has a cumulative grade-point average of 3.4 or better and a minimum average of 3.25 in JPC courses. Students must maintain a 3.25 to stay in the program.
In addition, students must apply to the accelerated 4+1 program before the completion of 100 credit hours towards the undergraduate degree, including transfer credits. Typically, such applications should be made at the end of the junior year. Transfer students need to have taken at least 30 hours at CSU and to have a 3.4 GPA or better. Also, admission to the Accelerated 4+1 program does not require completion of GRE or equivalent tests.
To apply students must submit the following:
- A completed Application form
- A statement of intent describing why and how the Strategic Communication program will enhance the student's scholarly and career goals.
- Two letters of recommendation from CSU School of Communication faculty
For more information about the program, please consult the COM department (216-687-6430) or go to the department website at http://www.csuohio.edu/class/communication/communication.
Students who are accepted for an accelerated 4+1 program may apply or transfer a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours taken while an undergraduate. No additional graduate credit hours taken as an undergraduate may be applied or transferred to the graduate record.
Core (6 Credits)
- COM 501 - Pro Seminar In Communication
- COM 512 - Communication Research Methods
Communication Theory (6 Credits)
Two of the following required:
- COM 610 - Organizational Communication Theory
- COM 640 - Persuasive Communication
Research Methods (6 Credits)
Two of the following required:
- COM 631 - Multivariate Statistical Methods
- COM 634 - Qualitative Research Methods
Elective Courses (12 Credits)
Four of the following required:
Note: Any course not counted towards a theory or research methods requirement may also be counted as an elective.
- COM 548 - Managing Organizational Teams
- COM 555 - Communication Campaigns
- COM 564 - Media Metrics & Analytics
- COM 595 - Special Topics in Communication Theory & Methodology
- COM 645 - Strategic Messaging and Communication
- COM 660 - Strategic Communication
Exit Options (3 Credits)
- COM 689 - Collaborative Research Project
- COM 698 - Research Project